No announcement yet.

Firefox 72 Released With Picture-In-Picture Video Support Working On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to take the chance to point out that the number of developers working actively on Firefox Linux support is quite small, like for so many other important projects. So if you have some practical skills on that field and care for the Linux desktop, feel invited to help. It's fun

Comment

I’ve been using PiP now for several months via manually enabled flag and the now official state is a step backwards for me: Every video that goes PiP shrinks to a fraction of its size, it even gets scrollbars?! I can resize it but it shrinks again if I double-click it to maximize and double-click again to make it small. I’m using Firefox on a 4K monitor with HiDPI set to 163 dpi via Plasma’s font size. But even if you would consider the mini size a HiDPI-agnostic value, it makes no sense since it just is extremely tiny.
      Last edited by holunder; 07 January 2020, 09:14 AM.

Comment

I'm sorry, but since when is Firefox a TV interface? This is not in scope for a web browser.

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post

Except that Firefox market share is actually increasing and is expected to be in double digits again shortly...
          Except that Firefox will lose a bunch of users, at least on the Android side because they decided to disable the most popular feature in the upcoming version: https://www.ghacks.net/2020/01/06/ab...able-and-beta/

Let's just hope they don't decide to do the same thing on the desktop version (although chances aren't looking up because of stuff like this: https://www.ghacks.net/2020/01/06/pl...ty-in-firefox/).
          Last edited by Vistaus; 07 January 2020, 01:09 PM.

Comment

240Hz> There is NO way to have hwaccel video playback on Firefox Download the source code and add hwaccel yourself. However, there is no reason for a web browser to decode video. Use the classic Unix philosophy, fork a dedicated video playback program and feed the video data to it. Djhg2000> we need diversity in browser engines, not competence Personally, I would like to have a browser written by someone competent. Djhg2000> JavaScript is a garbage-oriented language JavaScript is a user-hostile security hole which is only useful for criminal activity. :-( 240Hz> Firefox is going downhill Given how horrificlly bad Firefox 1.0 was (massive number of compile bugs, not to mention the other crap), it must be approaching the center of the earth by now. :-( [I fear that this website will mangle this posting. Sorry, I cannot fix that problem. It *used* to work.]

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Except that Firefox will lose a bunch of users, at least on the Android side because they decided to disable the most popular feature in the upcoming version: https://www.ghacks.net/2020/01/06/ab...able-and-beta/
              Except that's not really "the upcoming version" of Firefox. It's Firefox Preview which is a technology preview of GeckoView. To me, reading the conversation, it seems that their intention wasn't to limit that in the browser but that GeckoView in its intended use doesn't generally need to be able to show about:config page. A comment on the Mozilla bug says that they will expose access to that page on GeckoView through configuration option. I wouldn't really worry about them removing it from Firefox, that's unlikely to happen IMO.

Comment

Let's just hope they don't decide to do the same thing on the desktop version (although chances aren't looking up because of stuff like this: https://www.ghacks.net/2020/01/06/pl...ty-in-firefox/).
                I can actually understand that on Android. AFAIK people tend not to want to configure and fiddle with stuff on mobile platforms

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post

I can actually understand that on Android. AFAIK people tend not to want to configure and fiddle with stuff on mobile platforms
                  In that case, Google should make Android more like Windows Phone or webOS/LuneOS (talking about the interface, not the underlying system) if people don't like to fiddle.......
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 08 January 2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Most popular feature my ass. Did you bother to read the post or are you just bored?

Those who want to use about:config can use the developer versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
                      Except that's not really "the upcoming version" of Firefox. It's Firefox Preview which is a technology preview of GeckoView.
                      You're both right. Firefox Preview is a tech preview of GeckoView. However, it is also scheduled to replace the current Firefox for Android by the end of 2020. The standard Firefox app has already been switched to ESR branch for a number of months to minimize development and maintenance overhead.

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
                      To me, reading the conversation, it seems that their intention wasn't to limit that in the browser but that GeckoView in its intended use doesn't generally need to be able to show about:config page. A comment on the Mozilla bug says that they will expose access to that page on GeckoView through configuration option. I wouldn't really worry about them removing it from Firefox, that's unlikely to happen IMO.
                      Yeah, it's a big process change splitting the UI from the rendering engine. Which part handles about:config when settings there can change rendering options and/or UI preferences? I read this as an update to GeckoView isolated this for probably good reasons, then further development added an option to expose it again. It's probable that Fenix non-nightly simply hasn't had this propagate down yet (Although I haven't tried to look at their code to confirm).

Comment

Working...
                      X