GIMP 2.99.x Development Releases Likely Starting Soon For GIMP 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    As much as I appreciate the people who work on it do it for nothing, I have one massive gripe with GIMP that's independent of it's toolkit.

The UI is horrible. Please, just copy Photoshop or Krita.
    People like me really appreciate the interface provided by GIMP and it's flexibility and tiny things you've never noticed, that make things MUCH easier.

Comment

I don't understand why are people against GIMP UI. I use GIMP for website development and painting. I have to say that it's great program and the UI is logical and practical. At first glance it may not look good but hey I'm not using some application just because it has nice shadows under toolbars. On the other hand when I tried Photoshop the UI was very bloated and many of the things weren't very easy to find.

What I'm trying to say is that all the people here are bashing GIMP just because Photoshop users said so and their heard it somewhere on the internet. It all just depends on what program you've started with. So please stop commenting on GIMP UI unless you've used it for more then just cropping two pictures from vacation.

Last note to comparing images between GIMP and Photoshop, good artist can work with any tool and make it look professional...

Comment

Originally posted by Jigglywiggly View Post
        I mean, do you actually paint/draw yourself?
        Yes, a little.

You need some experience to understand how different program's brush engine acts.
        There is no black magic in how a brush engine should respond to input events.

As for performance, we actually keep improving it. 1000px large brush on 4000x2500px canvas, no problem, even on my humble core i5 laptop.

I'm sure we can make it even better, especially if we start using AVX.

The interface is super easy to understand.
        The interface is super familiar to you. There are lots of things that don't make much sense in Photoshop if you really think about it.

The brush engine is good, it has a brush stabilizer, it has symmetry options, it has lots of nice filters for blurring, etc.
        So has GIMP. All of the above: stabilizer, painting symmetry, filters etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          I stopped following GIMP's transition to Gtk3 like 8 years ago.
          You can help if you want. But it's easier to stay here to comment...

Comment

News about GIMP is all well and good, but how's Glimpse coming along?

EDIT : just went to their github, looks like that project is dead. That's a shame, I liked their goals.
            Last edited by kaprikawn; 05 January 2020, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Personally, having used photoshop years ago and attempting to use GIMP a few times, and Krita(which was better experience than GIMP, at least for the things I was doing)... I'd still rather photoshop, even if I have to sort out a dual-boot or use a VM. Working with layers and blending options for non-destructive work was much nicer, especially UX wise. Working with channels(individual RGBA) was also far more pleasant, can't recall what it's like in GIMP, but Krita was pretty painful a year ago. Using some grid/tiling features also wasn't pleasant with Krita(making a hexgrid pattern).

PS UI/UX imo was much better, claim bias or whatever, if PS was open-source it would be interesting to see how many still favor GIMP or alternatives. I'm in no way stating PS is superior at everything over the alternatives, I'm sure it has it's own faults and alternatives may do something better, but whenever I've done design work it's been a breeze with PS and often a frustrating dance for the equivalent in GIMP/Krita.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Ok I'll reword what I said.

Fix the UI.
                Some truth in it: a similar UI would make it easier to switch to Gimp.

Comment

Didn't Gimp switch to Gtk 3.x?

The dark theme (shown here: https://i.stack.imgur.com/Ve5vm.png) was a symptom of this change right?

Since it switched to enabling this theme it runs like absolute shite. An older version of gimp-win32 in Wine runs better!

I think UI designers should keep their hands off Gimp to be perfectly honest. The open-source community does not have UI designers; only users with opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    Since it switched to enabling this theme it runs like absolute shite. An older version of gimp-win32 in Wine runs better!
                    The dark theme was requested by the community. We knew some people would prefer the old one, so we made this a preference that you can toggle in under a minute. Your solution of running an older version via WINE makes absolutely no sense to me. Why are you trying to make things the hardest way?

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    I think UI designers should keep their hands off Gimp to be perfectly honest. The open-source community does not have UI designers; only users with opinions.
                    Mhm, so you are saying that people who do not exist in the open source community should keep their hands off GIMP? That doesn't make any sense to me either.

Anyway, we don't have UI designers in the team, just people who do their best.

Comment

Don't know why most of the comments I see here is for painting with GIMP and Photoshop as IMHO that's a poor fit for those programs.

I draw a little, and GIMP/Photoshop are great for post-processing/final touches, but for drawing/painting I absolutely prefer Clip Studio Paint or Krita (even Corel Painter would be better for that).

In fact, for manga, Clip Studio is so comfortable that I doubt anyone would choose any of the other non-specialized software instead.

And when you are mentioning artist sites, of course north-american/european oriented sites will have a lot of photoshop users, as that is the tool commonly teached there. If you visit pixiv.net, the impression is that photoshop is seldom used for ilustrations, and Clip Studio, Procreate, SAI [...] are the norm.

Comment

Working...
                      X