GIMP 2.99.x Development Releases Likely Starting Soon For GIMP 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

The dark theme was requested by the community. We knew some people would prefer the old one, so we made this a preference that you can toggle in under a minute
    The dark theme is fine but how do I toggle the performance back to acceptable? I can't find it in the preferences.

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
    Anyway, we don't have UI designers in the team, just people who do their best.
    Of course you don't. Like I said; UI designers don't exist in the open-source community. Certainly not blaming you guys for that.
    But I for one would refuse to do a UI task in a half-assed way (my skills are not in that area either). However it seems the Gimp project went ahead and fiddled anyway.

And thus running Gimp in a sodding win32 compatibility layer runs with better performance.... ??? I too am baffled why I need to do things the hard way like this... but alas; it seems I do if I want to get any work done.

It seems strange that your community complained about a lack of dark theme but not about the large performance regression. How are you guys sourcing your community feedback? It sounds to me like you are not getting feedback from actual users of Gimp.

(I am sounding like a bit of a dick so I still want to add that I am grateful that Gimp exists. Just a bit frustrating that I am needing to salvage old versions)
    Last edited by kpedersen; 05 January 2020, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
      The dark theme is fine but how do I toggle the performance back to acceptable? I can't find it in the preferences.
      Please be more specific.

Of course you don't. Like I said; UI designers don't exist in the open-source community.
      I'd say they tend to vanish eventually. Here is our story: https://www.gimp.org/docs/userfaq.ht...dobe-photoshop

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        Some of the delusions in this thread about GIMP being "Amazing" are popcorn worthy. Meanwhile virtually every professional industry is aware of GIMP and uses Photoshop en mass.
        And CinePaint in film studios in Hollywood, CA in the past: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CinePaint#Movies. But yeah, Photoshop is pretty much the de facto standard now.

But what's with the name? I mean: I know what "gimp" means outside of FOSS, but companies have no problems adopting Microsoft Edge, despite the fact that "edge" is a very well-known innuendo.
        Last edited by Vistaus; 05 January 2020, 01:25 PM.

Comment

The open-source community does not have UI designers; only users with opinions.
          So KDE's UI design team with actual designers from a while ago was fake?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Ok I'll reword what I said.

Fix the UI.
            Better: improve the UI. GIMP UI makes more sense and just needs refinement. The GTK header bar will enhance it once the transition to GTK3 complete

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Better: improve the UI. GIMP UI makes more sense and just needs refinement. The GTK header bar will enhance it once the transition to GTK3 complete
              If GIMP gets a header bar with no option to disable it, the number of users using old versions of GIMP through WINE will increase even more.

Comment

I've used both. I prefer Gimp. I find no editor does it all and I usually start with Darktable and then finish in Gimp. The feature I am looking forward to is non-destructive editing. They are working on it and GEGL ads to that but we aren't there yet.

Comment

Ditto. I like Gimp and find Gimp difficult enough to use, without elaborating on how bloated Photoshop is or asking the purpose of all those tiny clickity unusable buttons.

The GTK-3 tiny scrollbar is a pain in the butt. Along with GTK-3 making the scrollbar width narrower, I'll pressume GTK-4 will now make the scrollbar hieght shorter.

I avoid QT/KDE code. ;-) It looks pretty, that's about it!

Comment

I don't blame anyone about the stupid comparison between PS and GIMP, I did the same back to time. However after more than ten years playing with Gimp and Co. I can do the same I do at my job, same speed, same result. Eventually you realized those are just tools.

But as a matter of fact the combination of Gimp + Imagemagick is a tremendous combo, and Gimp fixed a lot of UI issues as well. It takes me a long period to understand that software like PS are commercial products and must sell and must be user friendly etc... Software like Gimp aren't commercial product and don't need to be easy to learn for newbies, although Gimp is quite easy to learn. Gimp is the typical example of raw power under the hood but hard to drive, it needs training and dedication. Sometimes it is smooth sometimes at all, but who care? I am still feel myself as a pioneer... And I am still think what will it happen the day that Gimp has "non-destructive" editing, full colors management and a decent timeline? I am willing to wait other ten years to assist this day.

What I would put the hands in Gimp is removing a bit of redundancy there are tons of settings, commands and options that I have never used. Most of those seem just small variations of other commands, or redundancies, or simply legacies of the past. I would clean up a bit or at least having the opportunity to remove unwanted voices.
                    Last edited by Danielsan; 06 January 2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Both advices are next to useless. Everyone has their own opinion on what the GUI should look like. This is the main problem. There are people who are capable of writing code but don't understand what's wrong the the GUI. The artists are aware of the problems, but don't have the ability to form normal sentences in plain english.

Comment

Working...
                      X