GIMP 2.99.x Development Releases Likely Starting Soon For GIMP 3.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 2.99.x Development Releases Likely Starting Soon For GIMP 3.0

Phoronix: GIMP 2.99.x Development Releases Likely Starting Soon For GIMP 3.0

It's 2020 and GIMP remains one of the last holdouts for a major software application still relying upon the GTK2 tool-kit even with GTK4 potentially coming around the end of the calendar year. Fortunately, at least, the GIMP 2.99.x development releases on the path to the GTK3-based GIMP 3.0 should be starting up soon...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...And-2019-Recap

I stopped following GIMP's transition to Gtk3 like 8 years ago.

Comment

As much as I appreciate the people who work on it do it for nothing, I have one massive gripe with GIMP that's independent of it's toolkit.

The UI is horrible. Please, just copy Photoshop or Krita.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        The UI is horrible. Please, just copy Photoshop.
        People that like the Photoshop UI do not use the GIMP. They use Photoshop.

Why should a far superior image manipulation program deliberately destroy their UI just so that Photoshop users can call it "Rubbish Photoshop clone" instead of "Horrible, it doesn't look anything like Photoshop"?

Comment

As much as I appreciate the people who work on it do it for nothing, I have one massive gripe with GIMP that's independent of it's toolkit.

The UI is horrible. Please, just copy Photoshop or Krita.
          https://twitter.com/GIMP_Official/st...82585809342465

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post

People that like the Photoshop UI do not use the GIMP. They use Photoshop.

Why should a far superior image manipulation program deliberately destroy their UI just so that Photoshop users can call it "Rubbish Photoshop clone" instead of "Horrible, it doesn't look anything like Photoshop"?
            I call it "Photoshop, 10 years behind".

Comment

Ok I'll reword what I said.

Fix the UI.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                GIMP
                How dare you?

Comment

Ok I'll reword what I said.

Fix the UI.
                  I'm no artist, but have some experience with photography, small scale publishing, and old skool pixel painting. To me GIMP is easier to use. I started with MS DOS Deluxe Paint, switched to Paint Shop Pro (starting with version 3 or so), and took some time to learn GIMP, when I switched to Linux. It changed a bit few years ago, but didn't take long to learn the new workflow. It's still missing some advanced features, but I don't do anything super advanced. For processing RAW, I use Capture One, Lightroom, or Darktable. OTOH, every time I begin with Photoshop, it feels bloated and overly complex. Each new version feels worse than the older. Mostly because I don't spend any time learning that UI. What does this tell us? I think the UI/UX experience heavily depends on your background.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

I'm no artist, but have some experience with photography, small scale publishing, and old skool pixel painting. To me GIMP is easier to use. I started with MS DOS Deluxe Paint, switched to Paint Shop Pro (starting with version 3 or so), and took some time to learn GIMP, when I switched to Linux. It changed a bit few years ago, but didn't take long to learn the new workflow. It's still missing some advanced features, but I don't do anything super advanced. For processing RAW, I use Capture One, Lightroom, or Darktable. OTOH, every time I begin with Photoshop, it feels bloated and overly complex. Each new version feels worse than the older. Mostly because I don't spend any time learning that UI. What does this tell us? I think the UI/UX experience heavily depends on your background.
                    My story: I'm no technician, but have some experience driving bikes. To me Ford cars are better than BMW or Mercedes. I started with rusty bikes then switched to newer ones and took some time learning to drive a Ford car. It's still missing some advanced features, but I don't do anything super advanced. For driving to the mall it fits me just fine. OTOH, every time I see a BMW driving by it seems bizarre, bloated and overly complex. Each new version of Mercedes and BMW feel worse than older ones. Mostly because I don't spend any time learning anything about those cars. What does this tell us? That I'm a clueless moron who likes to share his ignorance and bias? - No. I think it tells us that "the user experience heavily depends on your background".

Comment

Working...
                    X