Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Of The Features That Could Come To KDE In 2020

Phoronix: Some Of The Features That Could Come To KDE In 2020

KDE developer Nate Graham who is well known for his weekly development summaries in the KDE space has shared his opinions on the desktop's features he expects to see materialize this year as well as some of the less likely bits...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm a long time KDE fan, but I just cannot see in what world improving fuse mounts handling is a more urgent matter than being able to scale your screens independently.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      I'm a long time KDE fan, but I just cannot see in what world improving fuse mounts handling is a more urgent matter than being able to scale your screens independently.
      Different people work on different things.

Comment

If you regularly work with files on remote locations in non-KDE apps and don't have multiple screens with different pixel densities (or you use Wayland where the feature is already implemented), then FUSE mounts are definitely more important. If you have multiple screens with different pixel densities and don't use the Wayland session and never work with files on remote locations in non-KDE apps, then clearly the per-screen scale factor feature is more important to you. If this describes you and you'd like to see this feature reach completion sooner rather than later, please feel free to help out with patch testing and development work!

Comment

It's the other way around for me. I either use 2 identical monitors on my desktop or no external monitors on my laptop, thus I have no use for independent scaling. On the other hand I rely a lot on remote locations, so it would be nice seeing KIO finally catching up with GVFS.

Comment

One major feature that's missing is brightness control. It's not available except when KDE detects a laptop.

Comment

well kio is the big reason i dont use kde.
              i am looking forward to their fuse implementation. if its good enough i'll switch

Comment

Also, still waiting for Debian to upload newer Plasma. Something is seriously wrong that it was delayed for so long: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/plasma-desktop

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  Also, still waiting for Debian to upload newer Plasma. Something is seriously wrong that it was delayed for so long: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/plasma-desktop
                  Ugh, I feel like if you want the newest packages Debian probably isn't the distro for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Ugh, I feel like if you want the newest packages Debian probably isn't the distro for you.
                    Delays normally shouldn't happen unless there is some major blocker. So this is an exception, not something to expect. But I'm not sure what exactly is the problem. I tried asking KDE Debian developers, but no one responded.

Comment

Working...
                    X