KDE 4.2 Answers The Needs Of End-Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
    It used to be in the Favourites Tab in KDE 4.1.4, but when I had 4.2 installed the icon was missing (with only a question mark in place) so I removed it, in the belief it was somewhere else too. But, I possibly didn't look at the computer Tab. Gotta try it when I come home from work.

Thanks for the tip, however!
    Oh well... why do it easy if there's a complex way to do it...
    Removing ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc should have the same effect, even if you'd need to restore all your personal widget settings.

Comment

I hope they port EVERYTHING IN KDE 3.5.9 to KDE 4.2.
      Especially I want software like K3B back. Its got NO replacement.

Kaffeine too I miss and Dragon Player Sucks, but since VLC shifted to QT4, thats not as big an issue as it could have been.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
        Oh well... why do it easy if there's a complex way to do it...
        Removing ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc should have the same effect, even if you'd need to restore all your personal widget settings.
        Thanks that fixed it, even if don't think new users would dare to do it on their own.

Also, before removing plasma-appletsrc I noticed that my kmail icon was gone, and I cannot find that either.

Maybe I get these annoyances because i upgrade rather than do a clean install?

EDIT: Oh, it didn't fix all issues, I notice. It didn't bring back the "System settings". Hmmmm.

EDIT2: Like very often, this was a case of handling error. Doubly so. It appeared I had been too keen to install KDE 4.2 and had not received all parts of it. While reinstalling some components in an attempt to solve the issue there was a whole range of new apps trickling down the line! Sorry for wasting your bandwidth with my inane ramblings.
        Last edited by sabriah; 28 January 2009, 05:22 PM.

Comment

KDE4-Versions of Kaffeine and K3B are already in work. You can get them from SVN. K3B is already very usable (at least I haven't encountered any problems so far).
          Kaffeine seems to work mostly as well, except if you want to use it to watch tv with a tv-card (like me). Also it uses Phonon, so many configuration-options are no longer available.

Comment

Or, and I don't know why people are having trouble grasping this, you can run KDE3 apps in KDE4. Just like you can use Gnome, GTK, LXDE, Enlightenment, and Windows apps (via wine, of course) in KDE4.

It's not like the dev's are thinking "ah, screw it, you guys don't need a power-user-type media player or a burning program." Kaffeine and k3b aren't "official" KDE applications - they just happen to be applications that are built for KDE. So, they aren't tied to KDE's release schedules. They're coming, just not "there" yet.

But, yeah, you can get them from subversion. Some distros package them. OpenSUSE has them in their KDE:KDE4:UNSTABLE:Extra-Apps repository (which is pretty much /trunk snapshots from KDE's svn repo).

Comment

Originally posted by puelocesar View Post
              Yeah, it's strange, because Ubuntu's developers are bitching against removing the patch because they say that removing it it will be a slow down, but here, on my setup, installing a xserver without the patch actually makes KDE4 much faster, so I think the video corruption also slowed things down

Well, now it seems that they dropped the patch for jaunty, but they won't do this for Intrepid as an update because they say it's not a security problem.. That's why I like Arch Linux, there they just fix the thing and everybody gets happy
              We(the Kubuntu guys) have added it to the repo we use to provide 4.2, so everybody should "gets happy"
              See http://www.kitterman.org/ScottK/2009...video_gar.html for more infos on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Smarter View Post
                We(the Kubuntu guys) have added it to the repo we use to provide 4.2, so everybody should "gets happy"
                See http://www.kitterman.org/ScottK/2009...video_gar.html for more infos on that.
                Hey, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X