Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@TechMage89:

eh?

on my in-order execution machines, yeah, KDE4 isn't all that snappy. on my out-of-order execution machines, it's fine. A speed-demon? no. Significantly less of an abomination that Firefox 3? yes. A small set backwards from 3.5.9? also yes.

For the record, my current "main rig" is an Athlon XP 2600+ with 1GB of DDR1 with a Geforce 6200 256MB AGP card. So, yeah, it's a little long in the tooth. But I don't see what the big deal is. Are you using a GeForce 7 or 8 series with the 177-series drivers? I hear those cards with those drivers like to seriously but-heads with Kwin and Plasma.

Comment

I have KDE 4.1 running on a 300Mhz dual PII and it runs half decently although CPU usage sits at 40% for a good while after it appears to have loaded then it drops down to normal levels... I prefer LXDE though or some custom mashup I just installed it to poke around with it

If im thinking right there were some bugs (since been fixed from what i've read) that caused lagging on nvidia graphics

IMO the job of a GUI is to put pretty graphics on the screen and be smart about it.... does KDE do that? well the first part but there is a LOT i found lacking in 4.1 .. 4.2 is supposed to be in the ArchLinux repo but i think my package database is messedup cause it won't update
      Last edited by cb88; 27 January 2009, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
        I have to say I'm not impressed by the performance. Even without compositing it's hardly usable. This is on two machines less than a year old with core2 duo processesors and 3GB of ram.

I figure there must be something wrong here, but there doesn't appear to be. GNOME runs plenty fast, even with the compositor. Why is KDE so slow?

Did you try to run KDE 4 in vesa?

Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

Comment

I upgraded to KDE 4.2 yesterday, but managed to remove the icon "System Settings" from the K Menu...

Does anyone know how I might get it back?

Yes, I am a clumsy, bad boy...

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
            I upgraded to KDE 4.2 yesterday, but managed to remove the icon "System Settings" from the K Menu...

Does anyone know how I might get it back?

Yes, I am a clumsy, bad boy...
            Where did you remove it from? In KDE 4.2 RC 1, it was in the favorites tab and also in the computer tab, but it can only be removed from favorites here. So, to re-add it there, just right click on the system-settings icon in the computer tab and select "add to favorites".

(This doesn't apply if you're using the traditional menu of course)

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
              Where did you remove it from? In KDE 4.2 RC 1, it was in the favorites tab and also in the computer tab, but it can only be removed from favorites here. So, to re-add it there, just right click on the system-settings icon in the computer tab and select "add to favorites".

(This doesn't apply if you're using the traditional menu of course)
              It used to be in the Favourites Tab in KDE 4.1.4, but when I had 4.2 installed the icon was missing (with only a question mark in place) so I removed it, in the belief it was somewhere else too. But, I possibly didn't look at the computer Tab. Gotta try it when I come home from work.

Thanks for the tip, however!

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
                I have to say I'm not impressed by the performance. Even without compositing it's hardly usable. This is on two machines less than a year old with core2 duo processesors and 3GB of ram.

I figure there must be something wrong here, but there doesn't appear to be. GNOME runs plenty fast, even with the compositor. Why is KDE so slow?
                I run KDE4 on my EeePC and it's fast. But I know two things that cause performance problems. On thing is the old nvidia drivers, other thing is a bug on Ubuntu's xserver that causes garbage drawing on screen, and slow downs the interface.

If you are using Ubuntu, try adding "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/adamspain/ubuntu intrepid main" to your repositories and upgrading xserver-xorg

Comment

Originally posted by puelocesar View Post
                  I run KDE4 on my EeePC and it's fast. But I know two things that cause performance problems. On thing is the old nvidia drivers, other thing is a bug on Ubuntu's xserver that causes garbage drawing on screen, and slow downs the interface.

If you are using Ubuntu, try adding "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/adamspain/ubuntu intrepid main" to your repositories and upgrading xserver-xorg
                  I know that it causes garbage drawing on the screen because of that bugged Fedora patch, but are you sure it slows down the interface? Why hasn't Ubuntu dropped this patch yet? Is it still a problem in Jaunty?

Comment

Sweeeeeeeet.

P.S. It runs amazingly smoothly and speedy on my really not that fast laptop. Potential reasons for slowness issues are: misconfigured nepomuk/soprano/strigi (soprano should use the java-runtime dependent sesame2 backend) and crappy video drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                      I know that it causes garbage drawing on the screen because of that bugged Fedora patch, but are you sure it slows down the interface? Why hasn't Ubuntu dropped this patch yet? Is it still a problem in Jaunty?
                      Yeah, it's strange, because Ubuntu's developers are bitching against removing the patch because they say that removing it it will be a slow down, but here, on my setup, installing a xserver without the patch actually makes KDE4 much faster, so I think the video corruption also slowed things down

Well, now it seems that they dropped the patch for jaunty, but they won't do this for Intrepid as an update because they say it's not a security problem.. That's why I like Arch Linux, there they just fix the thing and everybody gets happy

Comment

Working...
                      X