Trinity Desktop R14.0.7 Released For Keeping KDE 3 Spirit Alive In 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
    You realize on the old versions of windows you can't search in the start bar.. right? Applications were grouped by Program > Manufacture Name > Application. So in some cases that was clear but in other cases it was very hard to find because you didn't know the company who created the software.

If you are looking for a good Application Launcher try Spotlight. (Gnome's is similar)

And I can go on.. Explorer is the only file manager that does not highlight a selection on right click. And it still does this today. Try for yourself. Click on blank space in explorer to un-select a file. Then right click the file. Every other file manager will select the file and give you the context menu for the file. Explorer does not, it give you the context for the folder.. and that is very confusing. as... you just clicked on the file?? If you want the context menu for the file you have to left click it.. then right click it again. Jes.. what a great OS.. the pinnacle of UI design..
    That you like more the interface/launcher of the desktop Windows 7 than the one in Windows XP or Gnome 2 or MacOS or AmigaOS 3.1 has nothing to do with what I was saying regarding the quality of engineering designs (not to be confused with not code quality)

I do not mean you're wrong or anything with your appreciation, I too like Windows 7's GUI although I think the task bar lost functionality compared to the Windows XP one.

When I said that GUI peaked in the Windows 2000 era, I was talking about the functionality+design of the GUI elements and associated libraries, by that point computer GUI's (using a keyboard and mouse) On screen gadgets (menus, buttons, combo-menus, text edit fields, frames, etc) had reached a level of ergonomic and engineering sophistication that has been on the decline since the advent of the touch screen idiocy.

GUIs on the modern era resemble old VCR's in that each one was different from one another even the same manufacturer will not produce two that had the same knobs and buttons, and all where all over the place. You had to learn how to use a VCRs timer programming from scratch each time you changed your VCR. Each VCR was flashier and different than the last one, they used 15-20 buttons hid on a panel when all they needed was some software, 4 cursor keys and an OK/Cancel button.

To find a more Modern analogy, modern GUIs resemble remote controllers, My TV controller has 46 buttons! of which you use barely 3-4 of them at any given time and it is not even a Smart TV, the menus are confusing and hard to navigate, that is modern GUI for you, change your TV and have to re-learn everything from Scratch.

This is the similar approach to building GUIs lately and it all started with Windows 8 and the abomination that is MS Office's ribbon style button pannels.
    Last edited by JPFSanders; 31 December 2019, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
      When I scroll web pages (I don't use Firefox nor Chrome/ium) and see tearing I know that my not-so-powerful-but-recent gpu (and obviously the cpu) is working at low speed.
      No, it means issues with VSYNC. You could benefit from a compositor. Either Kwin5 (which requires plasma5) or compiz. Or (as I do) just use compton, IMO should work with kwin3.
      Your crashes and non-working apps show that trinity lacks manpower. A good maintainer would probably just ask for help with those applications "or I have to remove it in the next release". But it seems he wants to act as the saver of the better times...

I never understood the need for this poorly maintained DE. plasma5 doesn't really need much memory, A blank desktop comes with a little more than 200MB here. No askonadi, no baloo. It idles at 0-1% CPU usage. Still I dropped it (my dad still uses it) as I didn't use much of the features and am happy with awesomewm now since quite some time. I switched over to console apps for most things I need, and that's not much...

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
        No, it means issues with VSYNC.
        The tearing disappears when the gpu is under load.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
          I really tried every desktop.
          I also compiled and installed Mate v. 1.12 using the gtk2 this month. Great DE. But, how can a gtk3 applet lock entirely its panel until that applet finishes to do its things?
          Last edited by Guest; 31 December 2019, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post

You clearly do not understand what KDE5 is or what it does. Every single one of those things you mentioned can be accomplished by even a novice developer, provided there is not already an existing widget to do it. Maintaining a set of widgets is certainly easier than maintaining an entire desktop environment. KDE also does not 'shit all over' anything. It adheres to the standards set by freedesktop.org.

EDIT: I'm going to add here that KDE 5 can be completely customized to fit practically any workflow. You can make it look like Windows, the MacOS, KDE3, GNOME, whatever your fetish is.
            Are you high??

All these things can be accomplished by the user in KDE 3.5.

So to use KDE 5 I have to learn C++, Qt, KDE and CMake? The fuck? Are you serious??

Why all the likes for your asinine posts?

How can I make taskbar fully transparent, you asshole? You said everything is possible in KDE5 and when I asked for specifics, you said go program it? Go fuck yourself.
            Last edited by birdie; 31 December 2019, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Yeah right.. this is denial right here. I didn't say they are "hard" I said they are expensive, meaning they take time away from *any* user not just disabled ones. Your preferred interface uses a lot of fine movements, I'm sorry that just isn't optimal but that's the case. I think you need to take a step back and re-evaluate things.. perhaps the reason you like what you like is due to familiarity more than ease of use. That is ok.. but it is a different thing.
              They were neither hard nor expensive from 1981 to 2012 when Windows 8 was released. Suddenly when Windows 8 was released it all became hard. Wow. What an asinine observation we have here.

Yes, but most of that old research has been thrown out for better models and subsequent research. As we learn new information we have to abandon old ideas. I agree with you on Web 3.0 tho..

Any UI design will show the most valuable areas of the screen are the edges, because they are the easiest to hit. Windows 95 uses none of them well. The very easiest is the top, then the sides then the bottom.
              There was no UI/HIG research after Windows 95. Windows 8 was created as a Frankenstein OS meant to be usable both by desktop and mobile/touch users and it spectacularly failed at both because most touch-centric features were removed in Windows 10.

I'm done arguing with you because you clearly understand shit in UI/HIG and you're talking straight from your arse.

Comment

You realize on the old versions of windows you can't search in the start bar.. right? Applications were grouped by Program > Manufacture Name > Application. So in some cases that was clear but in other cases it was very hard to find because you didn't know the company who created the software.

If you are looking for a good Application Launcher try Spotlight. (Gnome's is similar)

And I can go on.. Explorer is the only file manager that does not highlight a selection on right click. And it still does this today. Try for yourself. Click on blank space in explorer to un-select a file. Then right click the file. Every other file manager will select the file and give you the context menu for the file. Explorer does not, it give you the context for the folder.. and that is very confusing. as... you just clicked on the file?? If you want the context menu for the file you have to left click it.. then right click it again. Jes.. what a great OS.. the pinnacle of UI design..
                You do realize that search was built-in in Windows 7? So much shit in people's heads here.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  Trinity has got a number of tools that simply do not exist in today's desktops. I still end up using it quite often...
                  And it's a lifesaver when your distro (e.g., Mageia 7) has a KDE that absolutely screws up xrandr...

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
                    I can barely contain my laughter whenever I hear this thing still exists.
                    Exactly my thoughts every time I read a GNOME article.

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
                      Your crashes and non-working apps show that trinity lacks manpower.
                      JuK KDE 5 version also crashes for me, same goes for Kolf's KDE 5 version in certain levels. Does this mean KDE lacks manpower too? What an idiotic argument...
                      Meanwhile, the TDE versions of these apps never crash for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X