Trinity Desktop R14.0.7 Released For Keeping KDE 3 Spirit Alive In 2020

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity Desktop R14.0.7 Released For Keeping KDE 3 Spirit Alive In 2020

Phoronix: Trinity Desktop R14.0.7 Released For Keeping KDE 3 Spirit Alive In 2020

For those still having fond memories for the KDE 3 desktop days as we roll into 2020, the Trinity Desktop Environment as a fork of K Desktop Environment 3.5 is still pushing along with maintaining these aging open-source software packages...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...esktop-R14.0.7

restoring AOL/AIM and MSN protocol support within Kopete
    Yeh, I'm sorry but these people are stuck in the past and really need help.

Comment

I can barely contain my laughter whenever I hear this thing still exists.

Comment

What about migrating to updated frameworks? Qt 5.x/6.x QtWebStuff (is the Qt one based on Chromium?), etc.

Keep it retro, but make it modern and HiDPI friendly.

Comment

Their commitment to a hobby is impressive.

Comment

One of the useful desktop environment nowadays. Maybe the only one.

Comment

Trinity has got a number of tools that simply do not exist in today's desktops. I still end up using it quite often, or invoking a few different Trinity apps from the DE I'm in.

For a good Libre-linux, non-system-D distro that's focused on the Trinity DE, I highly recommend Exe GNU/Linux. http://exegnulinux.net/
              Exe's live ISO is also one of the easiest ways to install Devuan Beowulf.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                Trinity has got a number of tools that simply do not exist in today's desktops. I still end up using it quite often, or invoking a few different Trinity apps from the DE I'm in.
                What exactly? Honestly curious

Comment

Are they still maintaining their own fork of Qt3 as well or are they migrating to Qt5?

Comment

It's amazing how the most feature-rich, useful and stable DE in Linux is getting so much contempt from people most of whom have never written a single line of code, who can't distinguish "modern" shit UI (Gnome 3/KDE 5/Windows 10) from usable UI (classic Windows 95 UI) and who prefer shit font AA (e.g. MacOS on normal-DPI displays) to the best AA in existence (ClearType v2 in Windows 7).
                    Last edited by birdie; 12-30-2019, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X