Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post
    KDE and Gnome3 are bloated.
    Plasma5 has been proven to be better then xfce recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
      Kwin still a shit even on AMD GPUs. The hilarious is Kwin works like a charm on Intel GPUs.
      On Nvidia we know is Nvidia fault with the bullshit proprietary things. On AMD I don't know.

If you enable vsync on kwin you get a huge input lag and stutter. If you disable (some people recommend this) you get screen tearing. OpenGL 3.X or 2.X on compositor settings is about the same thing. Xrender is slow as hell (software rendering, duuhhh!)

Also, when they FINNALY gives some attention and fix these Kwin problems I'll try again.

They have a much better DE than Gnome, but has a shit compositor if compared with Mutter.
      I use a Amd Fury and I have none of these problems... Everything is very smooth...

Comment

theriddick where? It's good if it uses lower foot print than xfce

Comment

I have settled on Kubuntu 18.04 because it is an LTS distro with also an LTS KDE (5.12). The combo has worked great for me so far and I guess that is also same for the maitainers of the distribution.

I hope they repeat it again in Kubuntu 20.04. Sync LTS releases and everybody wins. BTW Firefox LTS would also be a fantastic to the combo.

Comment

Its a article on this website that was done couple weeks back.

Kwin works fine for the most part, I've had occasional issues with select badly programmed games. (looking at you war thunder)

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Plasma5 has been proven to be better then xfce recently.
              Fedora Magazine found the opposite.

There are over 40 desktops in Fedora. Each desktop has it’s own strengths and weaknesses. Usually picking a desktop is a very personal preference based on features, looks, and other qualities. Sometimes, what you pick for a desktop is limited by hardware constraints. This article is to help people compare Fedora desktops based on the […]

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
              Kwin still a shit even on AMD GPUs. The hilarious is Kwin works like a charm on Intel GPUs.
              On Nvidia we know is Nvidia fault with the bullshit proprietary things. On AMD I don't know.

If you enable vsync on kwin you get a huge input lag and stutter. If you disable (some people recommend this) you get screen tearing. OpenGL 3.X or 2.X on compositor settings is about the same thing. Xrender is slow as hell (software rendering, duuhhh!)

Also, when they FINNALY gives some attention and fix these Kwin problems I'll try again.

They have a much better DE than Gnome, but has a shit compositor if compared with Mutter.
              Mutter has it's own share of problems.

Comment

KDE and Gnome3 are bloated.
                Define bloated.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

Define bloated.
                  they never do define it, as its such a stupid post - usually a troll post

Comment

When I say 'Xfce,' it’s a good bet you think about a lean, responsive Linux desktop environment that’s particularly light on system memory usage. What about when I say 'KDE?' Prepare for some surprises. . .

Comment

Kdepim and especially akonadi are a disaster. My current user experience is akonadi crashing 4 times on desktop start, then having to restart it manually. Sometimes it also spikes to 100% cpu usage after a crash and I have to manually kill it. Not to mention the fact that you need MySQL/PostgreSQL running (don't even try to mention SQLite, because good luck migrating to it).

Kwin has some serious performance issues on some hardware.

Baloo is also a cpu hog that, especially if using Docker, can make you want to just go away from the computer for 15 minutes until it's done. I ended up just disabling it completely so I can get work done.

There is a huge memory leak bug with all the file selection dialogs, including Dolphin and other file managers using it, that makes all these programs unusable. This apparently only affects some people for unknown reasons. The bug report has been stale for months.

Discover is an absolute abomination that was pushed down users' throats when it was, being generous, alpha quality software. It has improved but it's still abysmall compared to other graphical software managers. Muon was honestly a lot better.

The amount of memoy/cpu leaks in the latest releases are increasing at an alarming rate on some hardware configurations.

So no, I am not happy.

Comment

Working...
                      X