Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darktable 3.0 Photography Software Released With Complete GUI Rework, Many New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

All professionals use Lightroom or something better. Darktable is only used by the poor and mediocre photographers.
    Dude, you fail even at trolling. You want to troll, you come up with "all professionals use Nikon/Hasselblad"

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

F you.
      I'd gladly hear what kind of workarounds you have for CR3 and other unsupported RAW formats. I'm just saying that professionals expect support for their gear. It doesn't make any sense to buy new $5000 lenses and $3000 DSLR bodies if you can only shoot JPGs.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

I'd gladly hear what kind of workarounds you have for CR3 and other unsupported RAW formats. I'm just saying that professionals expect support for their gear. It doesn't make any sense to buy new $5000 lenses and $3000 DSLR bodies if you can only shoot JPGs.
        The temporary easy work around is to use DNG converter on a windows box. libraw has support in atleast an RC version so I suspect it is coming to open source editors soon. Keep in mind that the majority of the windows based editors don't have CR3 support yet ether. That is a case of Canon not giving a damn about their customers rather than a problem with Darktable. If Canon had provided a spec for their file format every one would have support right now. Most of the proprietary photo editors will get the file spec from the guys that develop libraw since they have it up on their git page after they and others in the open source community reverse engineered it. I don't know what other RAW formats might be missing but there was a bunch of new supported cameras in this release notes so they might be there now.

Adobe got greedy and stupid. Sure their profits and share price are up right now due to the change to a rent seeking payment model. But they are also losing customers in droves. Just another typical American pump up the price, collect your fat bonus and get out before the company collapses play.

Comment

I am running FC-31 on my desktop machine and got curious. So I went an ran an update command and it pulled in version 3. It is a stand alone packge so has nothing else to create conflicts. It does do an update to the database schema so you likely can't go back unless you back up your database. I have only kicked it around a little bit but it seems stable so far. I have confirmed no CR3 support.

dnf update darktable --releasever=32

Comment

Originally posted by Kerisun
            What file converter do you use to convert any video and img files? How good is this online file converter onlineconvertfree.com and what else can you offer?
            For converting video I use ffmpeg. For photos if you are doing a bulk conversion you can use ImageMagick. If I am just converting one I just load it into any of the photo editors. The one exception to all that is CR3 files that still need to be done in adobe converter on Windows.

Comment

Working...
            X