KDE Plasma & Friends See Many Fixes + Improvements Ahead Of Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morty View Post

And this is the case for the currently released and latest avalible version inn the Qt source repository, sine it's already under the LGPL license(and GPL too actially).

So what is your point again?
    ​​​​​​
    If you do this thing called reading, you'll find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Can I take Qt, add some extra functionality, then sell it closed-source?
      No, not now. But if the agreement with the Free-Qt Foundation kicks om you can, sine Qt then becomes BSD licensed.

It's basicly the whole point og the deal, if they decide to go closed source. Anyone willing can start competing with them, starting from the exact same product. Commercially that would be suicide.

Comment

KDE is a technical marvel from a toolkit and DE standpoint. I've used it off and on throughout my 15 years on Linux. That said, I always have liked the feel of GTK apps more and I run Gnome Shell on my machines at this point. I appreciate the features it has and an extension or two make in very accessible to most users. Both advance the Linux desktop in different ways so let's appreciate that and leave the garbage commentary out of this discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Morty View Post

No, not now. But if the agreement with the Free-Qt Foundation kicks om you can, sine Qt then becomes BSD licensed.

It's basicly the whole point og the deal, if they decide to go closed source. Anyone willing can start competing with them, starting from the exact same product. Commercially that would be suicide.
          Then I guess that is a relatively good compromise.

But if a closed-source version of Qt is sold by the Qt company that has extra functionality which the corresponding open-source version doesn't have, does that kick in?

Comment

Original troll got exactly what he was hoping for. Every f(*%ing time there's a Plasma update from Nate, this bozo comes in, usually in the first or second post, and posts some crap about Qt, or fanboi'ing Gnome. I count three posts that are relevant to the Plasma update, and the rest (30+) are because GhostOfFunk started another troll session. I wouldn't blame Nate at all if he never reports back here again, and stops giving updates. And I think this is exactly what some people here want.

Please, Michael, we need to do something about this idiot. It's getting to the point that every time there's a Plasma thread and I see 20+ posts in it, I almost don't even want to click on it. Because I know GhostOfFunk will be in the first or second post, stirring up his shit, as usual. And as someone who actually wants to hear about Plasma news, this is a real inconvenience.

Comment

I consider the trolling done here just very light, but I see a lot of people behaving like really butt hurt on any "light" comment on qt/kde plus some funny homophobic reactions. I'm an admitted gnome fan but I still read with a passion news about kde in the hope to have a good competitor one day despite what it seems to me like a very toxic/childish community

Comment

Taken in isolation, it might seem like an overreaction. But this tool is showing up all over Phoronix, always polluting the threads now matter what they're about. I get it; he thinks Gnome is the best thing since sliced bread, and that Qt is the devil. Keep it in the appropriate thread. Many of us want to read about a specific topic and not have it turn into a shitfest.

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                I'm an admitted gnome fan but I still read with a passion news about kde in the hope to have a good competitor one day despite what it seems to me like a very toxic/childish community
                Oh, and this is a troll post too. Damning with faint praise, hoping to get a rise out of the 'childish community'. You could have just said you prefer Gnome. You had to go and add that KDE is not a good competitor for it, and that its community is childish. Again, just like GhostOfFunk, stirring up shit that isn't related to this thread at all.
                Last edited by sa666666; 22 December 2019, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Honestly, Phoronix should just turn off commenting on all KDE and Gnome related topics. I can't remember the last time I read a single informative or useful comment under any of them.

I assume all the trolling/arguing that goes on has financial benefits, though, so that will probably never happen.

Comment

144Hz is under a ban for the week to see if he then cleans up his act... Seeing several people complaining recently about him, so this time-out is the initial action.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                      Seems more ontopic than your comment.
                      Nope. I tried to prevent the thread from being derailed (and failed). But at least 144Hz got banned.

Originally posted by geearf
                      Your discussion about it does not belong any more in here, yet you're having it...
                      Nice try, but I clearly wasn't the instigator here. I took a proactive approach to try and keep the thread on topic.
                      Last edited by DanL; 22 December 2019, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X