Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Hopes To Get Most Of GTK4 Squared Away Next Year

Phoronix: GNOME Hopes To Get Most Of GTK4 Squared Away Next Year

GTK 4.0 isn't expected until autumn 2020 but a lot of work remains for that to happen as the next big update to GNOME's toolkit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't understand why IBM/RedHat can't find some spare change to fund the required development.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
      I don't understand why IBM/RedHat can't find some spare change to fund the required development.
      Very few of Red Hats products use GTK.

Comment

Really looking forward to GTK4, hopefully the launch isn't such as mess like the one of GTK+ 3 and the tansition more easy.

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

What? Ever heard of Gnome?
        Last edited by 9Strike; 19 December 2019, 05:42 AM.

Comment

They are funding it but its a case if throwing more programmers at the task wont make it go faster. That could have helped 2 years ago but now its mostly finishing the tasks already mostly finishex

Comment

Originally posted by 9Strike View Post
            Really looking forward to GTK4, hopefully the launch isn't such as mess like the one of GTK+ 3 and the tansition more easy.
            Supposedly the transition is a lot easier for apps to the point it can mostly be automated.

What? Ever heard of Gnome?
            GNOME isn't a Red Hat product.

Comment

Very few Red Hat products provide a standard GUI. Most if not all of them are web systems.

Those few that do provide a GUI (the registration / DRM service?) use Gtk (+ python bindings)

I don't think I have ever seen a Red Hat product using Qt or wxWidgets.

Comment

GNOME isn't a Red Hat product.
                Technically correct, but Red Hat is one of the biggest employer that improves the Linux Desktop. Sure there is also Canconcial, but I think I don't need to tell you about the DE experiments. Without Red Hat, Gnome would be very different (for better or worse, you may decide yourself). Or take piper (libratbag GTK frontend), basically only developed by Red Hat employees.

Comment

Ahm...what about looking into the commit log and checking the employers of contributors? I'd say Red Hat employees easily shoulder more than 50% of GTK development.

Comment

Technically correct, but Red Hat is one of the biggest employer that improves the Linux Desktop. Sure there is also Canconcial, but I think I don't need to tell you about the DE experiments. Without Red Hat, Gnome would be very different (for better or worse, you may decide yourself). Or take piper (libratbag GTK frontend), basically only developed by Red Hat employees.
                    Oh for sure, I can't disagree with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X