GNOME's Mutter Now Batches Clipping Rectangles For Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Mutter Now Batches Clipping Rectangles For Better Performance

Phoronix: GNOME's Mutter Now Batches Clipping Rectangles For Better Performance

After recently taking some time off of work, Canonical's Daniel van Vugt has been back on the GNOME bug hunt in the continuing quest of optimizing its performance. This GNOME 3.36 cycle is particularly important considering the upcoming Ubuntu 20.04 LTS release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just tested the latest Fedora Rawhide live USB, and Gnome seems to be as laggy and not smooth as it has always been. Where are these supposed improvements that keep happening, or is it just placebo?

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
      I just tested the latest Fedora Rawhide live USB, and Gnome seems to be as laggy and not smooth as it has always been. Where are these supposed improvements that keep happening, or is it just placebo?
      Maybe you need a faster USB stick? Or a non-NVidia GPU?

EDIT:

* Considering non-nVidia-GPU: I suspect you can't install the blob to a USB drive.
      * Does rawhide live contain debug info? I'd guess that might slow stuff down on a USB drive.
      Last edited by oleid; 18 December 2019, 01:40 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Maybe Rawhide is still stabilizing some new stuff because Fedora 31 with Gnome 3.34 has been amazing for me on every machine I have on all three graphics vendors. I have a four screen setup on one machine that runs amazingly. This would never have been possible with previous versions of Gnome. The only reason I think about Gnome's performance now is because I continue to marvel at how improved it is. I look forward to 3.36.

Comment

It's definitely not a placebo, and the improvements are real (and they're spectacular).

I personally turn Animations off, and if I do turn them on, I use them with the Impatience extension and setting it to 1.50. Really smooth. But I like my UI fast. Fast fast fast. So no animation for me.

Comment

3.34 Xorg was not usable with my 2C Gemini Lake SoC. With lighter DEs, the slowness mostly vanishes once everything is cached into RAM, but with Gnome there are extreme delays everywhere.

Comment

My Atom-based tablet confirms, that GNOME 3 is still crap in terms of performance. Not talking about FPS but about overall responsiveness. I hate when it takes a second to open launcher even with animations disabled. On a descent computer with i3 at least it is not noticeable of course. Unfortunately I am forced to use it, because it is the most touchscreen friendly DE at the moment.

Comment

If you're going to troll at least try not to be stupid.

Rawhide is literally like running everything from a master tree, it's extremely unstable and has debug compile flags enabled which slows things down, including the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  3.34 Xorg was not usable with my 2C Gemini Lake SoC. With lighter DEs, the slowness mostly vanishes once everything is cached into RAM, but with Gnome there are extreme delays everywhere.
                  Don't certain Atom SoCs have really bad GPU drivers.

Comment

Overall I am pleased with GNOME.
                    However, I don't like the GNOME Shell dash animation, the folding one, and would much prefer a bottom-up sliding one like on the one on Android.
                    I think GNOME is stable, but when you use third-party JavaScript extensions it can get unstable. Maybe GNOME can do some sandboxing, isolation, threading, or rewrite something in Rust?

Comment

Working...
                    X