Firefox 71 + WebRender vs. Chrome 79 Browser Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 71 + WebRender vs. Chrome 79 Browser Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: Firefox 71 + WebRender vs. Chrome 79 Browser Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux

On Friday I published two years worth of Mozilla Firefox benchmarks in re-testing every browser release from Firefox 57 through Firefox 71 stable as well as the latest beta/alpha releases. One of the questions that came out of that was seeing the current Chrome performance on Linux against Firefox, so here are some fresh numbers there...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We would like to see evolution of Chrome’s performance too.

Comment

I like the performance of Firefox. Despite being outperformed by Chrome in this benchmark, I am very satisfied with the real-world day-to-day performance of Firefox.
      I still wonder tho, how Chrome can be so insane fast in the benchmarks? And what Firefox would have to do in order to catch up.

Comment

I haven't looked at the Mozilla bugtracker, but there's probably a good reason why webrender isn't enabled for any linux configuration

Comment

Thanks Michael. I wonder what is the preferred browser of Phoronix readers? Can you share the stats?

Comment

Isn't the main difference due to JavaScript performance?
            I wonder how Firefox will perform when using V8 instead of SpiderMonkey.
            Last edited by yariv; 15 December 2019, 05:50 PM. Reason: Formatting

Comment

Yes, most benchmarks are Javascript benchmarks. So not much to see here.

Comment

Its hard to believe Chrome is faster. Chrome has been increasingly suffering from frequent freezes and often slows to a crawl and becomes unresponsive with playing video on Linux. Also the Google Maps streetview is basically unuseable on Linux in gnome due to drawing glitches. This is at least the case with hardware acceleration not being used (Xorg+dummy driver, or Xvfb, used with x11vnc), which is common with headless X servers and where the hardware acceleration is not working right.

On the other hand. Firefox is almost always responsive, plays video well, starts up fast, and has no glitches in Google maps.
                Last edited by Neraxa; 15 December 2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
                  Its hard to believe Chrome is faster. Chrome has been increasingly suffering from frequent freezes and often slows to a crawl and becomes unresponsive with playing video on Linux. Also the Google Maps streetview is basically unuseable on Linux in gnome due to drawing glitches. This is at least the case with hardware acceleration not being used (Xorg+dummy driver, or Xvfb, used with x11vnc), which is common with headless X servers and where the hardware acceleration is not working right.

On the other hand. Firefox is almost always responsive, plays video well, starts up fast, and has no glitches in Google maps.
                  Those things are hard, if not impossible, to benchmark. And probably not Javascript related.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                    I haven't looked at the Mozilla bugtracker, but there's probably a good reason why webrender isn't enabled for any linux configuration
                    https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/GFX/WebRender_Where
                    It is enabled on Nightly builds for everything but "large" screens. Did you look at your posted link?

Comment

Working...
                    X