Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Mint 19.3 Enters Beta With HiDPI Support Finally Nearing Completion, New Default Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    Cinnamon is good, but a long way behind KDE Plasma.
    Too bad they ditched the best desktop environment because of lazyness and I had to ditch them.
    Who knows, maybe one day they will get sane again and put back the KDE Plasma edition.
    KDE is the most powerfull DE.
    But calling it the best is a bit of a stretch, IMO...
    It all depends on what each user values. And for users that value a familiar environment Cinnamon is 'better' than KDE.
    The same way that for users that value functionality, KDE is 'better' than Cinnamon.
    My only problem with KDE are the papercuts (lots of very small annoying bugs/issues that bother me and put me off) and the Kickoff Menu, which i really dislike...
    For someone that needs the basics and wants the DE to jsut work, Cinnamon is a very good suit.

Comment

The only times I've had any real issues with Cinnamon is when an nVidia driver install has gone a bit wrong. Last time was with Mint 18, though, on a Intel+nVidia laptop where it had to coexist with a SecureBoot-enabled Windows 10, so it was really on to a loser anyway there.

I can't remember any issues with MATE when I've run it, but I generally prefer Cinnamon. I think the last time I enjoyed using KDE was back with RedHat 7.something... before they started calling it "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" and it was KDE2... running kernel 2.4? I occasionally go back to KDE to see how it has progressed, but never use it for long. Generally I stick to Cinnamon for pretty, Openbox for raw speed.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

KDE is the most powerfull DE.
        But calling it the best is a bit of a stretch, IMO...
        It all depends on what each user values. And for users that value a familiar environment Cinnamon is 'better' than KDE.
        The same way that for users that value functionality, KDE is 'better' than Cinnamon.
        My only problem with KDE are the papercuts (lots of very small annoying bugs/issues that bother me and put me off) and the Kickoff Menu, which i really dislike...
        For someone that needs the basics and wants the DE to jsut work, Cinnamon is a very good suit.
        Last time when I was using Cinnamon it was freezing a lot on my laptop with Nvidia GPU making me lose a lot of work.
        Since the related issue on Github didn't have any fix for more than 1 year I had to ditch Cinnamon.
        I didn't want to ditch Linux Mint, just the cinnamon edition and move to the KDE edition, but they dropped it so I had to move to Kubuntu.

I was immediately impressed that there were no more desktop freezes, it felt faster, less memory consumption.
        Then I found dolphin and looking at its network capabilities I was impressed again, it could connect directly to my server through FISH and FTP protocols, wow!
        Then I found KDE connect, wow again!
        For the future I see that KDE developers are actively working on high-DPI and Wayland, things that I'm interested in.
        So, for me, KDE Plasma is the best DE.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Last time when I was using Cinnamon it was freezing a lot on my laptop with Nvidia GPU making me lose a lot of work.
          Since the related issue on Github didn't have any fix for more than 1 year I had to ditch Cinnamon.
          I didn't want to ditch Linux Mint, just the cinnamon edition and move to the KDE edition, but they dropped it so I had to move to Kubuntu.

I was immediately impressed that there were no more desktop freezes, it felt faster, less memory consumption.
          Then I found dolphin and looking at its network capabilities I was impressed again, it could connect directly to my server through FISH and FTP protocols, wow!
          Then I found KDE connect, wow again!
          For the future I see that KDE developers are actively working on high-DPI and Wayland, things that I'm interested in.
          So, for me, KDE Plasma is the best DE.
          I'm glad you found something that works for you (KDE).
          It definitely also made huge improvements in memory consumption and speed.
          And if it works for you, even better.
          I reccomend you try the live Mint Cinnamon as i think you could be pleasantly surprised with the speed improvements and memory usage...

Comment

Well, I gave 19.3beta a go in a VM; worked painlessly.

Since I needed to reinstall an often used but non-vital system, decided to pop 19.3 on for better testing. Could never get it past a UEFI freakout. CSM on/off, Secureboot on/off, clear boot keys, etc... it always failed to even load the boot menu. Gave up, installed 19.2 again. Absolutely painless.

Don't get me started on the absolutely terrible "AMD RAID" situation.

Comment

Working...
            X