Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Mint 19.3 Enters Beta With HiDPI Support Finally Nearing Completion, New Default Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint 19.3 Enters Beta With HiDPI Support Finally Nearing Completion, New Default Apps

Phoronix: Linux Mint 19.3 Enters Beta With HiDPI Support Finally Nearing Completion, New Default Apps

The beta release of Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" is now available for testing in the default Cinnamon desktop flavor as well as MATE and Xfce spins...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Xplayer feels too old... Good they replaced it.

VLC isn't an option due to the annoying pitch shift bug...

Comment

Is there fractional scaling?

Comment

I am curious as to why cinnamon is the default desktop. I prefer Mate as it is a clean traditional desktop and frankly every time I try Cinnamon something just isn't working properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
          I am curious as to why cinnamon is the default desktop. I prefer Mate as it is a clean traditional desktop and frankly every time I try Cinnamon something just isn't working properly.
          Probably because Cinnamon is 1) GPU-accelerated (given it uses Mutter/Clutter), and I don't just mean a compositor, I mean the actual UI elements are GPU-accelerated. 2) Uses a JS engine so can be extended pretty easily by extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            1) GPU-accelerated (given it uses Mutter/Clutter), and I don't just mean a compositor, I mean the actual UI elements are GPU-accelerated.
            I wish this was the case for Qt Widgets... (I know I have Qt Quick but still I'm tired of that 30Hz animation)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I wish this was the case for Qt Widgets... (I know I have Qt Quick but still I'm tired of that 30Hz animation)
              30Hz?

I know it's not the same thing, but a couple of days ago I used Gallium HUD on okularkirigami and it was running at 50Hz.

Most people dont't use a 50Hz refresh rate so it's not like that's much better.

Comment

QT definitely runs faster than 30 hz unless he has some frankenstein setup. I get animations and such that match my monitor's refresh rate. Of course this is on KDE.

Comment

Cinnamon is good, but a long way behind KDE Plasma.
                  Too bad they ditched the best desktop environment because of lazyness and I had to ditch them.
                  Who knows, maybe one day they will get sane again and put back the KDE Plasma edition.

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post

30Hz?

I know it's not the same thing, but a couple of days ago I used Gallium HUD on okularkirigami and it was running at 50Hz.

Most people dont't use a 50Hz refresh rate so it's not like that's much better.
                    What I mean is that as an example, the info popups in System Settings (KDE) and transitions are animated at 30Hz...

Comment

Working...
                    X