No announcement yet.

Compiz Sees New Update Ahead Of The Holidays - But It's Mainly Bug Fixing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been using Xfce + compiz on Manjaro for years. It's been my go-to combo for screentear-free gaming and streaming videos, as well as all the awesome effects. My windows not only wobble, but burn up in green flames when I close them...an effect I have yet to see remade in the likes of KDE or anything else for that matter.

The on-screen particle painting ("firepaint") is also a memorable way to add underscores when presenting to colleagues.
    Last edited by lectrode; 28 November 2019, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
      I've been using Xfce + compiz on Manjaro for years. It's been my go-to combo for screentear-free gaming and streaming videos, as well as all the awesome effects. My windows not only wobble, but burn up in green flames when I close them...an effect I have yet to see remade in the likes of KDE or anything else for that matter.

The on-screen particle painting ("firepaint") is also a memorable way to add underscores when presenting to colleagues.
      They look cool but windows wobbling and going up in green flames are the most pointless desktop effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        They look cool but windows wobbling and going up in green flames are the most pointless desktop effects.
        Tools like compiz work wonders when your goal is to get ppl curious about your setup. Get a foot in the door for why they should want anything different from what they have now (like Windows). Spectacle is perfect for that. I've converted 3 of my coworkers to using Linux on their desktops using this strategy. Family members didn't really have a choice, but the effects helped dazzle them early-on, and they love showing those off to guests/friends. Some of those family members have even taken up the torch and used the same strategy to convert some of their friends to using Linux.

Saying these are pointless is like saying holiday decorations or rides at a theme park are pointless - their purpose is not to be functional; it's to provide bells and whistles to make an experience that much more unique and appeal to people on an emotional level. To that end, compiz works quite well.

Comment

My computer at work was running Scientific Linux 6 up until a couple months ago when they finally upgraded us to 7... Gnome 2 + Compiz was a lot of fun. Glad to hear MATE + Compiz is a thing now, I'll have to try it out. My personal computer is running Xfce + compton

Comment

The same boat here, I use compiz + xfce for a tear free solid system, works wonders!

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I would agree with most Compiz effects being useless and kind of gimmicky. Except for wobbly windows.
              If you've used them, it feels very natural and smooth in a workflow.

Going back to rigid moving windows still feels pretty robotic and... awkward.
              This is the one Compiz feature that actually looks more professional with it and that I miss tremendously.

​To a lesser extent, the desktop switchs and window switch+previews were very well integrated in a workflow as well. Much better than in Gnome-shell.

Being able to change the effects for bringing/minimizing active window or opening/closing was really cool, although this I can live without.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                The problem is that now that not even Canonical uses it anymore, the software will inevitably be left to die, on the other hand it will not be brought to Wayland and Canonical does maintenance only for the plugins used by Unity, which by the end of 16.04 will be abandoned.
                Well for a similar Compiz like experience in Wayland you could take a look at https://wayfire.org

Comment

Compiz is a great piece of software.
                  But...
                  Many people think that compositing is needed for transparency or for beautiful rounded widgets. In my opinion compositing isn't needed for such things because there is no reasons for not getting them using the only gui, cpu based libraries. Compositing is a "patch" for the lack of "code" in the gui libraries.

Comment

I get confused thinking about where Compiz fits into the desktop.

Linux + Mesa graphics driver <-> Xorg <-> desktop environment (e.g. XFCE or Fluxbox)

Presumably Compiz registers itself with the Xorg display server as a compositor via standard protocols/interfaces and then talks directly with the Linux+Mesa graphics driver to take responsibility of rendering what it got from X onto the screen. Is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
                      Compiz is a great piece of software.
                      But...
                      Many people think that compositing is needed for transparency or for beautiful rounded widgets. In my opinion compositing isn't needed for such things because there is no reasons for not getting them using the only gui, cpu based libraries. Compositing is a "patch" for the lack of "code" in the gui libraries.
                      Without a composer, however, there are a lot of problems, starting with tearing ... now all DEs use a composer.
                      Among other things Compiz is not only a composer, but it is also a window manager and has many effect plugins.
                      Personally today I prefer Kwin, which offers many effects and is much more stable and is actively developed.

Comment

Working...
                      X