KDE Plasma 5.18 Bringing Better GTK/GNOME App Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what was implemented. Setting a font/size/etc. in the Fonts page changes things for KDE, Qt, GNOME, and GTK apps.
    My point is that I need to drive different font size settings to achieve the same actual size in Qt and GTK UIs at the same time. Which makes me think that it might not be a good idea to take that setting away, as results might vary with different fonts, ppi etc.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      My point is that I need to drive different font size settings to achieve the same actual size in Qt and GTK UIs at the same time. Which makes me think that it might not be a good idea to take that setting away, as results might vary with different fonts, ppi etc.
      That sounds like a strange bug. I find the opposite, that the font sizes I set in each place need to be the same in order to get the fonts to look equal. What GTK apps do you see that need different font sizes? And what GTK theme are you using? If not Breeze GTK, does it work if you do use the Breeze GTK theme?

Comment

That sounds like a strange bug. I find the opposite, that the font sizes I set in each place need to be the same in order to get the fonts to look equal. What GTK apps do you see that need different font sizes? And what GTK theme are you using? If not Breeze GTK, does it work if you do use the Breeze GTK theme?
        Sounds a bit like each respective environment is thinking the DPI of the screen is different ???

Comment

False alarm, it was because I set
          <match>
          <edit mode="prepend" name="family"><string>Open Sans</string></edit>
          </match>
          in fontconfig, which enforces Open Sans as UI font in GTK, unlike Qt.

Comment

Phew!

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              False alarm, it was because I set
              <match>
              <edit mode="prepend" name="family"><string>Open Sans</string></edit>
              </match>
              in fontconfig, which enforces Open Sans as UI font in GTK, unlike Qt.
              What? Does Qt not respect fontconfig? Shouldn't both have prepended Open Sans?

Comment

this sounds like a really cool feature, i look forward to when its release!

Last edited by theriddick; 18 November 2019, 12:39 AM. Reason: I tried to make it all caps, but I fail. :(

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                  What? Does Qt not respect fontconfig? Shouldn't both have prepended Open Sans?
                  It's probably overriden by Plasma. But I was mistaken anyway, the chosen GTK font gets applied regardless of my fontconfig. It's just really confusing, as GTK renders fonts slightly different than Qt.
                  I re-added that "prepend" setting, otherwise I'm getting eye cancer in browsers. Though things look fine when setting GTK font size to the same level, maybe it was some old bug that got fixed in the meantime. Anyway, all fine here, nothing to see...

Edit: Ah yes, it was due to stupid Thunderbird not increasing the line width in inbox, causing text clipping. But that probably is Thunderbird's fault anyway...
                  Last edited by aufkrawall; 18 November 2019, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Good news, I often changed the Plasma theme, forgetting to do it even for GTK applications. From what I understand now it will no longer be necessary to do so.

Comment

I was wondering what happened to the GTK setting under Application Style. Now it is not even needed. 😎

Comment

Working...
                      X