Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 6.4 Branched - Beta Release Underway With QR Code Generator, Threading Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 6.4 Branched - Beta Release Underway With QR Code Generator, Threading Improvements

Phoronix: LibreOffice 6.4 Branched - Beta Release Underway With QR Code Generator, Threading Improvements

As of this morning LibreOffice 6.4 was branched from master and the beta release tagged with those LO 6.4 Beta binaries expected out shortly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally some more multi-threaded optimizations for Calc.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      The move to GTK3 was awesome. Big victory for consistency, performance and Freedom.

And a big f-u to CLA \o/
      Since when did you have to sign a CLA to use Qt?

And how is GTK3 a victory for anyone, other than the minority of people who use the GNOME desktop?

Comment

Oh wait a second, LibreOffice doesn't use either GTK or Qt, it can just "integrate" with them.

So then why are you talking about GTK3 and CLAs?

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post

Since when did you have to sign a CLA to use Qt?

And how is GTK3 a victory for anyone, other than the minority of people who use the GNOME desktop?
          Given that GNOME is the default desktop in both Ubuntu and Fedora, I very much doubt that its users are a "minority". No matter what KDE or XFCE people would want us to believe, very few users really care about customising their installation or even using alternative distro spins.

As for GTK3, its birth was hellish but now it's a mature and really good framework. It does have its issues but so does Qt.

Comment

Stopped bothering with building LibreOffice for use ever since I renewed my paid subscriptions to Office 365 and Google.

It says a lot when Google Docs and the web version of MS Office perform faster than a local customized build of LibreOffice v6.2, even when tethered off a phone's mobile data.
            Last edited by Sonadow; 13 November 2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              Stopped bothering with building LibreOffice for use ever since I renewed my paid subscriptions to Office 365 and Google.

It says a lot when Google Docs and the web version of MS Office perform faster than a local customized build of LibreOffice v6.2, even when tethered off a phone's mobile data.
              How loud do your fans get when using Google Docs?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I've always found it very fast when I build it locally. But I've been building v6.3 for the most part. Maybe there was a significant change to speed things up after 6.2, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post

How loud do your fans get when using Google Docs?
                  Fanless, unnamed Atom notebook from China with 4K display: what fan?
                  Threadripper 2990wx with AIO cooler: zero difference
                  Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 with dual Noctuas: zero difference
                  Old Acer laptop with i7-6500U: zero difference

Fact: I get work done much, much faster on Google Docs and MS Office Web than on LibreOffice.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

I've always found it very fast when I build it locally. But I've been building v6.3 for the most part. Maybe there was a significant change to speed things up after 6.2, I don't know.
                    Try dealing with a Writer file that has images and pictures on every page. LO slows to barely usable speeds and scrolling is like watching a laggy frameskip animation.

And if LO is built without libboost, working on that same file in Writer makes it completely and utterly unusable (more than 2sec lag to scroll frame by frame), to the point even keyboard input is garbled when trying to enter text.

All these come down to a single fact: LO has rotten threading. Even though v6 was supposed to be a major improvement for LO's threading, it's still crap. All that pain described above on LO Writer can be attributed to a single flaw: Writer still runs on only one ( 1 ) CPU thread.

Calc claims to be multithreaded, but the fact its that it also refuses to use more than one CPU thread, just like Writer. When working on >10Mb spreadsheets with links and macros, even a simple copy/paste of data from one cell to another in a different page takes upwards of 5 seconds.

And let's not even talk about Draw. Heck, I've resorted to trial package of Glify Online. Even Draw.io is miles ahead.
                    Last edited by Sonadow; 13 November 2019, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X