• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Badges?

We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
      Which just exemplifies how pointless this new plan by google is, people already stop using slow websites when they can and don't need an icon telling them a website is slow.
      The badge isn't for users, it's for site owners and others that can get the site owner to care.

If the site owner sees his website with Google's "yo it's slow dawg" badge, he will be less likely to believe the bs the web developers are telling him about how "it's not possible to make it fast".

This will end up being just another way to censor websites google doesn't like.
      Dropping priority from slow sites only means people will be recommended towards the faster alternative if such alternative exists at all.

Comment

I am going to block google in my home intranet.

Comment

I wonder why would Google bother calling out its own websites for being slow. I mean it's not like we didn't notice...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Dropping priority from slow sites only means people will be recommended towards the faster alternative if such alternative exists at all.
            Maybe initially. Direct quote from the blog post: "Our long-term goal is to define badging for high-quality experiences, which may include signals beyond just speed." Given how much they're censoring elsewhere, why wouldn't you expect them to do the same here?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post
              Maybe initially. Direct quote from the blog post: "Our long-term goal is to define badging for high-quality experiences, which may include signals beyond just speed." Given how much they're censoring elsewhere, why wouldn't you expect them to do the same here?
              The direct quote means "In the future we are going to use other parameters too to define if the web site is good or not".

And I'm already sure this will be used in their google search results rating score eventually, like they are using the https support and other webpage parameters.

That's not censorship, it will just favor the better site if many exist, if only a few exist (like say 5 or 6) it won't matter much, it will all appear on the first page of results

If we want to talk about censorship, we can talk of the personalized search result system. That's very bad on so many levels.

Comment

Our long-term goal is to define badging for high-quality experiences, which may include signals beyond just speed.
                So... Chrome phones home for each URL I visit to ask Google's servers for opinion on the site? Like: This is the 34th kitten video you are watching today, don't you have anything better to do? Or: You are at your work computer. You are not watching the GoT prequel trailer at work, right?

https://imgur.com/Drean6p

That sounds like real progress. It could certainly boost the productivity and reduce wasted time for everyone. Maybe require a Google account to use Chrome and registering your employers and your significant other's email when creating the account, so with their help Google can get you back on the right track to correct content consumption. So many possibilities...
                Last edited by JanW; 12 November 2019, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JanW View Post
                  So... Chrome phones home for each URL I visit to ask Google's servers for opinion on the site? Like:
                  Don't both Firefox and Chrome already do this with Google Safe Browsing?

Comment

How about looking at their own crap (spyware, ads) that slows down the internet and start working on that ?
                    I see a lot of times when the browser is slow that it says it's waiting for analytics or ads from Google.

Comment

Originally posted by JanW View Post
                      So... Chrome phones home for each URL I visit to ask Google's servers
                      If you go to a website through Google search, yes, yes they know. This is far from news.

Also this happens already with Google Safe Browsing as said by others

That said, I'm pretty sure that they are just finding ways to show people what their site indexing AI algorithms think when they index the website. Running an AI application scan real-time is not really istantaneous, even for Google.

Google, just like any other Internet search engine, is always running indexing bots that scan the Internet to see and categorize all websites.

Like: This is the 34th kitten video you are watching today, don't you have anything better to do? Or: You are at your work computer. You are not watching the GoT prequel trailer at work, right?
                      Decent business firewalls do that already.

Higher-than-average businness setups even compromise HTTPS website access from the internal network by doing a Man-in-the-middle with their own proxy for the sake of controlling what their employees do. It's called HTTPS Proxy content inspection. https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs..._resign_c.html

Bigger issue is that these things do require a professional to set up and maintain properly, and of course an expensive businness firewall appliance.

Maybe require a Google account to use Chrome and registering your employers and your significant other's email when creating the account, so with their help Google can get you back on the right track to correct content consumption. So many possibilities...
                      Would be a good addition to their "Gsuite for work" features yes. No need to have a proper businness firewall to control your employee internet access, just force the use of Chrome locked down for businness and rely on us to create the whitelists and blacklists.
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 12 November 2019, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X