X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arQon
    replied
    Originally posted by fahrenheit View Post
    "Be fast, implement Google Amp! Use ads from our whitelist of ad purveyors to ensure fast load time and ad revenue.
    Host your site on the Google CDN for the best performance."

I'm pretty sure none of the above has passed through the heads of Google management.
    Yeah, no kidding. My "favorite" was when every time YouTube was slow - sometimes because my conn was genuinely flaking out in a storm, but usually just because it somehow magically "needed" to buffer halfway through a video - Google's *immediate* "diagnostic" popup was "Switch to Chrome!".
    Not "Lower the stream resolution" or "Don't use the 60FPS stream we automatically chose for you", just "Switch to Chrome", because obviously it could only POSSIBLY be the browser that's to blame.
    And yeah, sure, I use Firefox and I'm well aware that Google has deliberately, repeatedly, sabotaged YouTube for both that and IE / Edge. But you'd think it would at least CONSIDER something other than the browser as the potential cause of playback issues... :P

I'm not QUITE so cynical as to imagine that the same site that knows I'm not using their spyware browser stalled the stream just because of the UserAgent string. But honestly, these days I wouldn't be SURPRISED to discover that it did, which is a pretty sad state of affairs for a company that really did generally adhere to "Don't Be Evil" before the MBA asstards took over.

Leave a comment:

• xorbe
    replied
    Literally all the big names (ISPs, banks, utilities, etc) are going to get tagged as slow. They are all awful lol.

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    Ugh, This sounds like another great ANTI-FEATURE :-(
    I already can't use Google search because they present ads as search results.

And GCP is not a great platform. I have learnt to loathe it.

Leave a comment:

• linuxcbon
    replied
    Google will say that my website is slow ? How dare they say ? I dont want anybody to know that my website is very slow. It's my little secret.

Leave a comment:

• Henk717
    replied
    Terrible idea, why do we have to put up with sides that load half way with placeholders and then load the real content later in a slower fashion? Because that boosts page load time algorythms. So this will just encourage bad behavior and discriminate sites on speed rather then usefulness.

Leave a comment:

• BraindeadBZH
    replied
    Strange because when you use an ad-blocker websites tend to load pretty fast...

Leave a comment:

• AsuMagic
    replied
    On one hand bloated sites are a PITA. OTOH I'm not sure I want a multi billion company to be arbiter of that, especially as it has potential conflicts of interests on that topic.

Leave a comment:

• fahrenheit
    replied
    "Be fast, implement Google Amp! Use ads from our whitelist of ad purveyors to ensure fast load time and ad revenue.
    Host your site on the Google CDN for the best performance."

I'm pretty sure none of the above has passed through the heads of Google management.

Leave a comment:

• Modu
    replied
    Great method to foce hosting sites to pay for a ransom. Google has become creative recently.

Leave a comment:

• Templar82
    replied
    As much as contemporary bloated website annoy me, I don't really like the idea of Google becoming the gatekeepers of the internet.

I'm not sure that telling people that a slow website is slow is really that helpful anyway, I'm sure they noticed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X