Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Packs Away New Screensaver Setting, Other Changes For First Full Week Of November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Packs Away New Screensaver Setting, Other Changes For First Full Week Of November

Phoronix: KDE Packs Away New Screensaver Setting, Other Changes For First Full Week Of November

It's been another busy week in KDE land with developers working through the massive code-bases comprising the KDE desktop environment on a variety of features and fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ngraham Would it be possible to extend the lockscreen functionality so that it hides the cursor and optionally never asks for a password? Until this isn't the case, I'll have to stick with xscreensaver.
    (Yes, my display really needs a screensaver, despite of being LCD IPS.)
    Last edited by aufkrawall; 10 November 2019, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      ngraham Would it be possible to extend the lockscreen functionality so that it hides the cursor and optionally never asks for a password? Until this isn't the case, I'll have to stick with xscreensaver.
      + that with a Windows-styled ctrl+alt+del to unlock keyboard input and/or exit the lockscreen. My monitor has me covered in those regards; my cat, however, only see's something square shaped that looks nice to lay on.

Comment

Heh, there's only so far you can go to turn a lock screen into screensaver until it's no longer a lock screen.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
          Heh, there's only so far you can go to turn a lock screen into screensaver until it's no longer a lock screen.
          I come to a different conclusion here, basically both features are the same imho. Afair this is also the case on Windows, it simply offers to additionally unlock the screen after the screensaver was interrupted.

Comment

I come to a different conclusion here, basically both features are the same imho. Afair this is also the case on Windows, it simply offers to additionally unlock the screen after the screensaver was interrupted.
            And also on the old KDE 3.5 and TDE. So it's not uncommon and it also used to be a part of KDE.

Comment

Right now the lock screen suffers from a few issues.

1) The password/username field shows on both screens.
              2) HiDPI support is clunky, and there are few custom lockscreens that support it properly.
              3) No screensaver functionality. Would be nice to get something like the AppleTV 4K screensaver with it's amazing scrolling views of different parts of the world...oh maybe just a cartoon dude mowing the grass. (anyone remember the famous Windows screensavers 'After Dark' or something like that from the 90s)

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out the AppleTV stuff itself can be found pretty easily, and turned into a screensaver. I'm in heaven.
              Last edited by betam4x; 10 November 2019, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post
                (anyone remember the famous Windows screensavers 'After Dark' or something like that from the 90s)
                I actually found a big-box copy of "After Dark Classic" for Windows 3.1 and 9x and classic MacOS (published by Sierra) for $5 at the local non-chain used games store a few years ago. My retro-hobby PC was pleased.

Comment

Working...
                X