Darktable 3.0 Approaching With Many New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sa666666 View Post

What the hell does this have to do with GTK and theming? Why don't you keep to the topic at hand??
    Probably this:

A complete rework of its user-interface with the GTK code now being fully controlled via CSS rules. In turn with no code reflecting the layout, the entire GUI can be properly themed now and there are several different themes to be shipped with Darktable 3.0.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Thank God for KDE. It makes things so consistent yet easy to theme.
      Fixed that for you

Comment

This is good news. I look forward to trying it out. I was hoping that libraw would have their fall release out in time for this so we would get .CR3 file support but I guess that isn't to be. Maybe for 3.1.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post

Full-screen? F11, then hold z? I'm not going to hold z while going through 1 000 photos. Middle-click? That's a bit uncomfortable on a touchpad. Next/prev image takes a while to load.

RawTherapee? F11, then m for "preview", but it's not true full-screen, it leaves a lot of UI shown. Zoom to 100%? Double-click, fine. Next/prev image? F4 and Shift-F4, but they don't work reliably, and it takes a second or so to load the images.

And I think it's better now than when I tried last time. Compare that to Bridge: full-screen is space, next/prev are on arrows and load instantly, 100% zoom is left click.
          Are you guys arguing about the default control scheme?

Does this application not allow the user to set his own buttons to do that? That's unacceptable for a serious application in 2019, but otherwise I think your argument is kind of moot.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Thank God for GTK3. It makes things so consistent yet easy to theme.
            KDE did it first, and without creeping in webtechnologies.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Are you guys arguing about the default control scheme?

Does this application not allow the user to set his own buttons to do that? That's unacceptable for a serious application in 2019, but otherwise I think your argument is kind of moot.
              Are you surprised a GTK app can be not that customizable?
              I really liked what I saw in Darktable, but I need more time with it, I don't know how well it handles local selections and those are kind of a must for me.

Comment

You can customize shortcuts, but having to hold a key pressed for preview is kinda' weird. Not sure about RawTherapee, I couldn't find the keyboard settings, but they might still be customizable.

Comment

Darktable is my tool of choice for RAW development, though I also think that some parts of the UI aren't actually intuitive. At least some won't really work for me.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
                    I tried to use Darktable and RawTherapee a couple of times, but couldn't really get around the UI. I would like see the photos in full screen, zoom with the mouse to 1:1 at one position and back, and label or delete the photos or switch the the next and previous one with a keyboard shortcut. I think this is a basic culling workflow where you remove the bad pictures and keep the good ones.

Neither of the projects supports it.
                    Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
                    Let's see. Darktable. Zoom to 100%? Middle mouse button (centered where the mouse cursor sits). Next image? Space. Previous image? Backspace. Starring? Keys 1-5. Marking for deletion? Del.
                    Maybe you should invest a minimum amount of reading a documentation or at least trying to hit some keys randomly...
                    That was the answer I was going to write

In any way, a better culling process is reverse-culling: you only mark what you think is better than others, then you delete everything not marked without looking at them. That is faster if you do a lot of photos and it prevents to keep many useless photos that does not look bad enough to be deleted but have to be dropped because less is more. Never look at the unmarked photo before deleting them, because many of them would still look good enough and would still look better than others, so you would end marking useless photos to keep them.

Note that since I don't have direct access to numbers on keyboard (french azerty layout), I uses colors (F1-F5) for marking. It's better to use colors for marking as they don't conflict with stars I may already set while working on the camera body on the field. I use colors as temporary metadata to group some photos for processing, while stars is real metadata that can be kept in delivered files. You can also use various colors for various meaning: no color: to be deleted, red: to be kept, green: portrait, blue: part of a panorama that you must assemble with a third party tool like hugin, etc… Filtering by colors makes group processing easier, and you can also use color grouping to edit metadata like adding stars…

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                      This is good news. I look forward to trying it out. I was hoping that libraw would have their fall release out in time for this so we would get .CR3 file support but I guess that isn't to be. Maybe for 3.1.
                      I just checked libraw released a snap shot 4 days ago that finally does contain support for CR3 files so we are getting closer to being able to use linux editors like Darktable with modern Canon cameras again. It will be soooo good to not have to spin up a windows VM move my CR3 files there, run Adobes DNG converter and then move the resulting files onto my main storage before I can start to work on them. It has really been harshing my work flow.

LibRaw is a library for reading RAW files from digital cameras - LibRaw/LibRaw

Comment

Working...
                      X