Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darktable 3.0 Approaching With Many New Features

Phoronix: Darktable 3.0 Approaching With Many New Features

The popular Darktable open-source RAW photography workflow software is closing in on its v3.0 release with the first release candidate having been issued on Sunday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be nice if this marvellous piece of software could be included more often in GPU benchmarks.

Comment

I tried to use Darktable and RawTherapee a couple of times, but couldn't really get around the UI. I would like see the photos in full screen, zoom with the mouse to 1:1 at one position and back, and label or delete the photos or switch the the next and previous one with a keyboard shortcut. I think this is a basic culling workflow where you remove the bad pictures and keep the good ones.

Neither of the projects supports it.

Comment

i really like darktable. it was my first raw developer when i started photography and i still use it.
        it had a steep learning curve but there are many usefull resources out there.
        looking forward to the new release in debian buster

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
          I tried to use Darktable and RawTherapee a couple of times, but couldn't really get around the UI. I would like see the photos in full screen, zoom with the mouse to 1:1 at one position and back, and label or delete the photos or switch the the next and previous one with a keyboard shortcut. I think this is a basic culling workflow where you remove the bad pictures and keep the good ones.

Neither of the projects supports it.
          Let's see. Darktable. Zoom to 100%? Middle mouse button (centered where the mouse cursor sits). Next image? Space. Previous image? Backspace. Starring? Keys 1-5. Marking for deletion? Del.
          Maybe you should invest a minimum amount of reading a documentation or at least trying to hit some keys randomly...

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

Let's see. Darktable. Zoom to 100%? Middle mouse button (centered where the mouse cursor sits). Next image? Space. Previous image? Backspace. Starring? Keys 1-5. Marking for deletion? Del.
            Maybe you should invest a minimum amount of reading a documentation or at least trying to hit some keys randomly...
            Full-screen? F11, then hold z? I'm not going to hold z while going through 1 000 photos. Middle-click? That's a bit uncomfortable on a touchpad. Next/prev image takes a while to load.

RawTherapee? F11, then m for "preview", but it's not true full-screen, it leaves a lot of UI shown. Zoom to 100%? Double-click, fine. Next/prev image? F4 and Shift-F4, but they don't work reliably, and it takes a second or so to load the images.

And I think it's better now than when I tried last time. Compare that to Bridge: full-screen is space, next/prev are on arrows and load instantly, 100% zoom is left click.
            Last edited by GrayShade; 04 November 2019, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Compare that to Bridge: full-screen is space, next/prev are on arrows and load instantly, 100% zoom is left click.
              If I remember correctly, Bridge doesn't edit RAW files, only views them. What's the comparison here with photo editors then?

Perhaps have a look at Digikam for culling needs. It's not FastPictureViewer fast, but still quite fast. I always run the photos through Digikam first before I even open them with an editor. Hope this way it fits your workflow expectations a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Fox View Post

If I remember correctly, Bridge doesn't edit RAW files, only views them. What's the comparison here with photo editors then?
                It bundles Adobe Camera Raw, which is a decent RAW editor with a pretty approachable UX:I haven't tried digiKam yet.

Comment

Full-screen? F11, then hold z? I'm not going to hold z while going through 1 000 photos. Middle-click? That's a bit uncomfortable on a touchpad. Next/prev image take a while to load.
                  You wrote

I would like see the photos in full screen, zoom with the mouse to 1:1 at one position and back, and label or delete the photos or switch the the next and previous one with a keyboard shortcut.
                  And I told you, that these shortcuts are there. And there is a complete overview

If the workflow doesn't match your entrenched habits - stick to your products. I've been using darktable for years and I suppose I'd find Adobe's preferences initially completely counterintuitive.

Loading next or previous images takes no time, even with my 35 MP raws. But I do have them on an NVMe SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    Thank God for GTK3. It makes things so consistent yet easy to theme.
                    What the hell does this have to do with GTK and theming? Why don't you keep to the topic at hand??

Comment

Working...
                    X