Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darktable 3.0 Approaching With Many New Features

Phoronix: Darktable 3.0 Approaching With Many New Features

The popular Darktable open-source RAW photography workflow software is closing in on its v3.0 release with the first release candidate having been issued on Sunday...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0-RC0-Released

It would be nice if this marvellous piece of software could be included more often in GPU benchmarks.

Comment

I tried to use Darktable and RawTherapee a couple of times, but couldn't really get around the UI. I would like see the photos in full screen, zoom with the mouse to 1:1 at one position and back, and label or delete the photos or switch the the next and previous one with a keyboard shortcut. I think this is a basic culling workflow where you remove the bad pictures and keep the good ones.

Neither of the projects supports it.

Comment

i really like darktable. it was my first raw developer when i started photography and i still use it.
        it had a steep learning curve but there are many usefull resources out there.
        looking forward to the new release in debian buster

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
          I tried to use Darktable and RawTherapee a couple of times, but couldn't really get around the UI. I would like see the photos in full screen, zoom with the mouse to 1:1 at one position and back, and label or delete the photos or switch the the next and previous one with a keyboard shortcut. I think this is a basic culling workflow where you remove the bad pictures and keep the good ones.

Neither of the projects supports it.
          Let's see. Darktable. Zoom to 100%? Middle mouse button (centered where the mouse cursor sits). Next image? Space. Previous image? Backspace. Starring? Keys 1-5. Marking for deletion? Del.
          Maybe you should invest a minimum amount of reading a documentation or at least trying to hit some keys randomly...

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

Let's see. Darktable. Zoom to 100%? Middle mouse button (centered where the mouse cursor sits). Next image? Space. Previous image? Backspace. Starring? Keys 1-5. Marking for deletion? Del.
            Maybe you should invest a minimum amount of reading a documentation or at least trying to hit some keys randomly...
            Full-screen? F11, then hold z? I'm not going to hold z while going through 1 000 photos. Middle-click? That's a bit uncomfortable on a touchpad. Next/prev image takes a while to load.

RawTherapee? F11, then m for "preview", but it's not true full-screen, it leaves a lot of UI shown. Zoom to 100%? Double-click, fine. Next/prev image? F4 and Shift-F4, but they don't work reliably, and it takes a second or so to load the images.

And I think it's better now than when I tried last time. Compare that to Bridge: full-screen is space, next/prev are on arrows and load instantly, 100% zoom is left click.
            Last edited by GrayShade; 11-04-2019, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Compare that to Bridge: full-screen is space, next/prev are on arrows and load instantly, 100% zoom is left click.
              If I remember correctly, Bridge doesn't edit RAW files, only views them. What's the comparison here with photo editors then?

Perhaps have a look at Digikam for culling needs. It's not FastPictureViewer fast, but still quite fast. I always run the photos through Digikam first before I even open them with an editor. Hope this way it fits your workflow expectations a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Fox View Post

If I remember correctly, Bridge doesn't edit RAW files, only views them. What's the comparison here with photo editors then?
                It bundles Adobe Camera Raw, which is a decent RAW editor with a pretty approachable UX:I haven't tried digiKam yet.

Comment

Full-screen? F11, then hold z? I'm not going to hold z while going through 1 000 photos. Middle-click? That's a bit uncomfortable on a touchpad. Next/prev image take a while to load.
                  You wrote

I would like see the photos in full screen, zoom with the mouse to 1:1 at one position and back, and label or delete the photos or switch the the next and previous one with a keyboard shortcut.
                  And I told you, that these shortcuts are there. And there is a complete overview
                  https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/en/shortcuts.html
                  If the workflow doesn't match your entrenched habits - stick to your products. I've been using darktable for years and I suppose I'd find Adobe's preferences initially completely counterintuitive.

Loading next or previous images takes no time, even with my 35 MP raws. But I do have them on an NVMe SSD.

Comment

Thank God for GTK3. It makes things so consistent yet easy to theme.

Comment

Working...
                    X