Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GIMP 2.10.14 Released With Better HEIF Support, More Filters Ported To Using GEGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about lossless editing? Last time I've used gimp my pic had distorted image regions with less pixels!

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

The GTK+ 3 branch mostly works (in my limited experience with it, nothing crashed), and included CMYK support if memory serves.
      Oh nice with CMYK support, I've missed that.
      Oh, saw that nightly builds for Windows are available too.

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

What? Gimp still doesn't run on Gtk 3? I swear to god that guy was asking for donations like 10 years ago to move gimp to gtk3.

It's none of my business but if you care so much maybe contribute some if you're a gtk3 dev?
      GTK 3 support is nice, and good for future Wayland support.
      I've only done GTK 3 over GObject Introspection in Python, I am not a C developer.

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Why? It's cheaper for them to use better software from Affinity which of course has done more in 5 years then GIMP has done in it's entire history.
      Affinity does not exist for Linux.

Comment

Btw. I wish there was support for HEIF in 18.04. Currently we use nomacs with an external PPA plugin lol.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

What? Gimp still doesn't run on Gtk 3? I swear to god that guy was asking for donations like 10 years ago to move gimp to gtk3.
          There was no guy asking for donations to move GIMP to GTK3.

Originally posted by microcode View Post

The GTK+ 3 branch ... included CMYK support if memory serves.
          Nope, does not include CMYK support, never claimed to include that.

Comment

Originally posted by mike456 View Post
            What about lossless editing? Last time I've used gimp my pic had distorted image regions with less pixels!
            I don't know what do make of this claim. What did you really mean with "distorted image regions with less pixels"?

Comment

Exactly what I wrote. Edited a image and it looked worse after saving. Such should simply not be possible even if I maybe did something wrong... Never had such problems in Photoshop.

Comment

Originally posted by mike456 View Post
                Exactly what I wrote. Edited a image and it looked worse after saving. Such should simply not be possible even if I maybe did something wrong... Never had such problems in Photoshop.
                It would be a lot more helpful if you illustrated the issue.

I don't know what the original image looked like. You didn't show.

I don't know what changes you applied. You didn't tell.

I don't know what result you got. You didn't show.

See?

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this. You don't have to answer, of course. But this means the issue (if it exists) can't be fixed until someone makes a good report that can be reproduced.

Comment

It is clear that after GEGL/BABL fully implemented, multi channel and spot color support, and non-destructive editing a megaton bomb will hit the entire eco-system; this day is not so far anymore. I was recently exploring Natron to modify pictures with a non-destructive workflow and I think that it should be look toward Gimp rather than Blender, having Natron support inside GIMP it would be absolutely cool!
                  Last edited by Danielsan; 01 November 2019, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Why? It's cheaper for them to use better software from Affinity which of course has done more in 5 years then GIMP has done in it's entire history.
                    Affinity software isn't available for Linux and at least Disney uses Linux, so...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      I really want GNOME 3.0 with GTK 3 support. Really wish Linux Foundation, Disney, Pixar or some would hire some full-time GIMP developers. it is a great piece of software, but seem to lack contributors.

Another unfortunate thing is the lack of CMYK support.
                      I think GIMP would be better served by a development model similar to Blender, where they would have actual artists try to use the program to do the same thing they would do at work and then write down missing features and shortcomings. Then once those are addressed, repeat the exercise.

From what I've heard though, GIMP developers refuse to budge on a number of things they do a certain way and thus managed to dry up any goodwill from artists. Which in turn will dry up any monetary and developer support as no one actually wants to use the program in a professional setting.

Comment

Working...
                      X