Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Mint Pulling In MPV-Based Celluloid Media Player + Dropping Last Mono Dependency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint Pulling In MPV-Based Celluloid Media Player + Dropping Last Mono Dependency

Phoronix: Linux Mint Pulling In MPV-Based Celluloid Media Player + Dropping Last Mono Dependency

Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" will be out before Christmas and continuing to further refine this desktop focused Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's just gnome-mpv, I don't see any of the celluloid branding. I tried it out just now - seems ok. Certainly very spare in terms of features and settings compared to VLC, but seems to play videos just fine, just like mpv. I guess the difference from regular mpv is just the window dressing and the extra hamburger menu with a few settings. I like that it only pulls in one additional library when installing on a Debian-type system - no need to pull in the entirety of the gnome desktop just for a video player.

Comment

Most excellent news (Regarding XFCE 4.14 on Mint LTS) Mint is for me heading in the right direction more and more, to the point where it will be my next desktop OS.

Comment

I'm liking the performance so far today.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          It's just gnome-mpv, I don't see any of the celluloid branding. I tried it out just now - seems ok. Certainly very spare in terms of features and settings compared to VLC, but seems to play videos just fine, just like mpv. I guess the difference from regular mpv is just the window dressing and the extra hamburger menu with a few settings. I like that it only pulls in one additional library when installing on a Debian-type system - no need to pull in the entirety of the gnome desktop just for a video player.
          Celluloid is the name of what used to be gnome-mpv for quite a while now...

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
            Most excellent news (Regarding XFCE 4.14 on Mint LTS) Mint is for me heading in the right direction more and more, to the point where it will be my next desktop OS.
            Using Mint XFCE for approx 4 years on my parents' box without any problems. Can definitely recommend it as a main desktop OS.

Comment

not bad but i prefer QMPlay2 for kde

Comment

mpv works with both Intel and AMD's VAAPI implementations while VLC only works with Intel's VAAPI implementation, so this seems to be a really good move that should benefit AMD GPU users.

I'm not yet sure if the VAAPI issue is an AMD GPU driver problem, or a VLC problem.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                  I'm not yet sure if the VAAPI issue is an AMD GPU driver problem, or a VLC problem.
                  VLC problem. There are two VAAPI interfaces. The old one only works on Intel. The new one, introduced with libva-2.1, works everywhere. But VLC only has support for the old interface.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                    VLC problem. There are two VAAPI interfaces. The old one only works on Intel. The new one, introduced with libva-2.1, works everywhere. But VLC only has support for the old interface.
                    ??? Exactly which interface are you talking about?

Comment

Working...
                    X