No announcement yet.

Pango Dropping Support For Bitmap Fonts Is Frustrating Some Linux Desktop Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pango Dropping Support For Bitmap Fonts Is Frustrating Some Linux Desktop Users

Phoronix: Pango Dropping Support For Bitmap Fonts Is Frustrating Some Linux Desktop Users

Cleaning up of the Pango layout engine library as some much needed housekeeping by GNOME developers resulted in shifting to the Harfbuzz library for font loading. That quietly meant dropping support for bitmap fonts from Pango, which is now reaching Linux desktop users when upgrading to the Pango 1.44 stable release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If non-bitmap fonts are destroying my sight, then I’d fork some cash and get myself a high-dpi screen not whine here about people not doing work for me. I do value my eye sight after all
    That sentence is just utterly ridiculous

I don't even use Bitmap fonts, but why would you remove support for it? I've always had the impression they had their niche in the community, and for good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
      That sentence is just utterly ridiculous

I don't even use Bitmap fonts, but why would you remove support for it? I've always had the impression they had their niche in the community, and for good reason.
      Pango dropped support for using Freetype to render because it was causing general code difficulties: https://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2019...re-directions/

Freetypes FT_Face object has locking semantics that are broken and hard to work with; they are constantly getting in the way as we are juggling hb_fonts, FT_Face and cairo scaled font objects.
      Harfbuzz is now used directly instead.

Comment

That guy sounds like Marie Antoinette: Let them eat cake! History shows people didn't like her arrogance...

Comment

there is at least an obvious way to solve the problem: https://github.com/harfbuzz/harfbuzz/issues/1897

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
            That guy sounds like Marie Antoinette: Let them eat cake! History shows people didn't like her arrogance...
            It was in response to this bit of hyperbole though:

Comment

As always when something is removed in Open Source Software:
              Option a) Start working to reimplement the missing feature in a proper way
              Option b) Fork the old version and use that

You can't expect that other people keeping your stuff running for all eternity.

Comment

I forgot that people who volunteer to work on open source projects are slaves and have to bend to everything asked from them.

Comment

d) hire somebody to implement the feature in proper way.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
                    But aren't you also one of those people who chose not to fix the issue?

Comment

Working...
                    X