dav1d 0.5.1 Boosts AV1 Video Decode For Older CPUs by 40~50%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    Well, anyone who keeps a smartphone more than 3 years might disagree with you.
    I'd love to see a device that still works after that long, as most of the time these things disintegrate about a year into use.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

As I've mentioned before, the standard approach seems to be simply serving H264 in that case as a fallback. Most ARM hardware is disposable anyway, and if you get 2 years of use out of it, you're very lucky. Smartphones are meant to be thrown out and replaced with something newer. If that bothers you, it's between manufacturers and you.
      Yes h264 is still Standard cause it runs everywhere(the same with mp3 for Podcasts as a example)
      The Codec Generation VP9 and HEVC was no real solution for the Problem. HEVC is ugly with the Patent situation and VP9 was not Supported by Apple(only with third Party player). So it was needed to have h264 as fallback

Maybe we have with AV1 or VVC a generation of Codecs that will be better supported so the h264 fallback is only needed in edge cases(i guess with up to 50% savings in data usage it is more worth than the last generation)

Maybe your mobile devices have no vp9 HW decoder and they expect that Battery life is more valuable to you than mobile data.

The manufacturers want you to buy every 1-2 years a new device(or you get a new one on your cell phone contract.)
      But i would say we are over the Point where the innovation is so rapid that is worth for the customer to buy a new one in that Cycle. And looking at the numbers of Phones with old (unpatched) Android versions still in use, would i say that not everyone does what the manufacturers want

Looking at Apple. Iphone5s did still got the update to iOS 12 so end2013-End2019 support(not sure if they will patch Security problems after that)
      I personally don't buy Devices that are expected to be thrown away that fast
      EDIT
      I'd love to see a device that still works after that long, as most of the time these things disintegrate about a year into use.
      I have no Idea what you do with your devices. I have a Galaxy S2 that was a long time in use And i know a lot People who have old Phones in good condition except small scratches
      Last edited by Toggleton; 29 October 2019, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post
        Fixed that for you.
        lol, you are on the wrong thread. this one is about av1

Comment

are you chopping wood with smartphone?

Comment

No sane person would do software encoding or decoding of video on typical ARM hardware. These chips have hardware support for video for a good reason. Optimizing for ARM is purely academic.
            Not necessarily, it can still be useful in many cases, even if not practical.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

Note how we routinely decode VP9 in software on phones.
              Well no - Android devices have had hardware VP9 support for years now - Nexus 6 and Nexus Player from 2014 but support decoding VP9 1080p at 60 FPS - in fact, only desktop/laptop GPUs have lagged behind. Intel only supported it since Kabylake (2016) and AMD and NVIDIA just last year (2018).

Of course, iDevices are a different matter - Apple has patents in H.264 and H.265, so obviously they don't support VP8 or VP9.

Comment

Nexus 6 on ARMv7 here, still works well. I have a Motorola watch with ARMv7, still working well. Unfortunately, almost all Wear OS watches are using ARMv7 CPUs.........

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                  Nexus 6 on ARMv7 here, still works well.
                  Nexus 5 from early 2014 here. Still works fine, although the battery isn't in its prime (it's an OEM replacement manufactured in 2016). This phone is the flimsiest piece of plastic but it hasn't disintegrated yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X