X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• archsway
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    to stop working it has to start working. and it can't until you buy one of the three 5 year old SoC's with upstream hardware video decoding support (but you still need to use a special video player as the driver doesn't use any of the standard APIs.)

If you're lucky, as well as MJPEG you also get h264 support.
    Fixed that for you.

EDIT: And hopefully you picked a board without USB controllers that cause kernel panics if you don't insert the cable just so.
    Last edited by archsway; 29 October 2019, 02:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    hardware decoding does not stop working after 3 years
    to stop working it has to start working. and it can't until you buy new hardware

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Using NEON media instructions (aka ARMv7 and later) only. That's significant even if it is not a true ASIC hardware decoder, and it's not really true "software" decode, any more than AES-NI (crypto acceleration instructions in x86 CPUs) is "software crypto".
    AES-NI is still software crypto, just like if you added a single-instruction ChaCha quarter round it would still be software. Sure, it's specialized, but AES-NI instructions can be, and in fact are, used for things other than AES encryption. And far more than these examples, packed SIMD (SSE2, NEON) is extremely standard, and very general-purpose. In fact, SSE2 is the only common way that floating point operations are used on x86.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Quite naive if you think there's that few.
    Quite naive if you think there's so much.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Yeah, there are dozens, dozens of them, I tell you.
    Quite naive if you think there's that few.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by microcode View Post

Note how we routinely decode VP9 in software on phones.
    Using NEON media instructions (aka ARMv7 and later) only. That's significant even if it is not a true ASIC hardware decoder, and it's not really true "software" decode, any more than AES-NI (crypto acceleration instructions in x86 CPUs) is "software crypto".

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    Well, anyone who keeps a smartphone more than 3 years might disagree with you.
    hardware decoding does not stop working after 3 years

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Tell that to nearly every ARM Linux user out there with a modern kernel who isn't using a Broadcom or Nvidia chip...
    Yeah, there are dozens, dozens of them, I tell you.

Leave a comment:

• Orphis
    replied
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

No sane person would do software encoding or decoding of video on typical ARM hardware. These chips have hardware support for video for a good reason. Optimizing for ARM is purely academic.
    There are legitimate uses of software AV1. It's not only used for 4k content, but also low bitrate streams. If you try doing anything real-time but you are network-bound, why not use more CPU to alleviate that issue? It's all a tradeoff and perfectly valid sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• andreano
    replied
    Oh my, this release is meant for me! Not only have I a 7 year old AMD desktop CPU that doesn't even support SSSSE3, I also have a RPi4 running Raspbian, you know, with armv7 userland. Not sure which one is fastest.

I've tried Dav1d on Aarch64 (Pico-Pi iMX8M), and it beat my (almost as old) x86-64 laptop:
    https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...SK-AMDE1120009

Leave a comment:

Working...
X