Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome 78 Arrives With Dark Mode Enhancements, Native File System API, SMS Receiver API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 78 Arrives With Dark Mode Enhancements, Native File System API, SMS Receiver API

Phoronix: Chrome 78 Arrives With Dark Mode Enhancements, Native File System API, SMS Receiver API

In addition to Mozilla Firefox 70 having been released on Tuesday, Google released Chrome 78 as the newest version of their web-browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Totally sounds like "what could go wrong" edition ... I'll keep away from it for a few more months if anything nasty is found in the new features. Local file access sounds especially uncomfortable.

Comment

At this point, why don't they just call it ChromeOS?? Oh wait.....

Comment

Looking forward to see that dark mode (I'm using Chromium). While I tested a couple extensions with that purpose, none were much successful on the job, with a good amount of websites looking weird.

But that is only part of the equation of a truly dark mode desktop. In the office front things are not looking good. LibreOffice doesn't work good with dark themes (last time I tried) and most importantly, it doesn't convert documents to dark colors. Also, if you open a typical PDF at night on a dark room, you may fell off the chair because of the brightness. While I have a monitor with physical buttons to switch presets, the darkest setting isn't enough to save my eyes from the shock.

Comment

Is this the version with the new nerfed adblock API?

Comment

Remember when Chrome used to be fast and lightweight?
            I still like the browser but I'd rather they start cutting out these completely unnecessary features than to keep adding more of them. Google knows their browser supports extensions, right?

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
              Is this the version with the new nerfed adblock API?
              What's "nerfed"?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

What's "nerfed"?
                Nerf
                /nəːf/

verb informal•US
                past tense: nerfed
                • cause to be weak or ineffective.
                  "the constant zone running nerfed Michigan's pass rush"
                  • (of a video game developer) reduce the power of (a character, weapon, etc.) in a new instalment or update of a video game.
                    noun: nerfing
                    "ever since they nerfed the shield, the game just isn't as fun"

Comment

Here you go:

Description This issue is a heads-up on the proposed Chrome extension manifest version 3, which will have a significant impact on ad-blockers. There is a tracking bug at: https://bugs.chromium.org/...

The upcoming Manifest V3 for Google Chrome Extensions will change how ad blockers work on Chrome. Is this the right way forward for ad blockers and Google?

Upcoming changes to Chrome has left ad blockers up in arms. But Google insists it won't stifle the extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

Nerf
                    /nəːf/

verb informal•US
                    past tense: nerfed
                    • cause to be weak or ineffective.
                      "the constant zone running nerfed Michigan's pass rush"
                      • (of a video game developer) reduce the power of (a character, weapon, etc.) in a new instalment or update of a video game.
                        noun: nerfing
                        "ever since they nerfed the shield, the game just isn't as fun"
                    It's also a Noun -- creatures made of foam herded by the citizens of Tatooine.

Comment

Working...
                    X