Xfce 4.16 To Drop GTK2 Support, Explore Some Client-Side Decorations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I disagree with you whole heartedly, it's still not the app devs job or the widget sets job to do window management.
    You are entitled to your opinion for sure.

Comment

except it lacks every major window management feature... place above or below, shade, fullscreen, etc... and it breaks look and feel... and look at how much white space there is... how -exactly- is any of that convenient?
      Way less vertical space wasted. Look and feel depend on your perspective: SSD break CSD look and feel. I don't get the above/below/shade/fullscreen thing however, the window manager does... window managing, it doesn't matter if CSD or SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

Way less vertical space wasted. Look and feel depend on your perspective: SSD break CSD look and feel. I don't get the above/below/shade/fullscreen thing however, the window manager does... window managing, it doesn't matter if CSD or SSD.
        and again, it would be up to the app dev to expose those widgets and to code the load for them... it does matter because an ap dev has no way of knowing or planning for which window manager you use or should use, nor is it their job.

also, completely empty white space -IS- wasted space. might as well make your apps completely blank dialogs for crying out loud...​

and if one app dev codes a shade widget for example and another app dev doesn't, -that- is a broken look and feel even when they are both CSD. SSD helps make looke and feel solid every time. but CSD does not and cannot.
        Last edited by duby229; 23 October 2019, 01:41 PM.

Comment

and again, it would be up to the app dev to expose those widgets and to code the load for them... it does matter because an ap dev has no way of knowing or planning for which window manager you use or should use, nor is it their job.
          Have you ever used a CSD app? The problem you are talking about doesn't actually exist: if the app requests a titlebar, the wm delivers, otherwise it doesn't.

also, completely empty white space -IS- wasted space. might as well make your apps completely blank dialogs for crying out loud...​
          If that's your idea of wasted space, titlebars are a way bigger waste of space:

and if one app dev codes a shade widget for example and another app dev doesn't, -that- is a broken look and feel even when they are both CSD. SSD helps make looke and feel solid every time. but CSD does not and cannot.
          Sorry, I have no idea what a shade widget is.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
            Have you ever used a CSD app? The problem you are talking about doesn't actually exist: if the app requests a titlebar, the wm delivers, otherwise it doesn't.

If that's your idea of wasted space, titlebars are a way bigger waste of space:

Sorry, I have no idea what a shade widget is.
            And that is exactly my point. Its still the same problem exactly. Take two CSD apps, one requests a title bar and the other one doesn't, firstly -that- is a broken look and feel. And secondly, one has fully functional window management and the other doesn't and -that- is an even worse broken look and feel. And if you don't know what shade is in terms of window management then -that- is entirely my point that its not an app devs job to do window managent.

If you're arguing that the only soltion is to expose the titlebar, then -that- is an argument that CSD is a failure as a concept.
            Last edited by duby229; 31 October 2019, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post

my only problem is kio. if plasma would integrate something like kio-fuse deep enough (eg i can copy file links and have the fuse link - not the kio one) i'd happily use it.
              i dont know about lxqt though. do they use kio too?
              No. But i don't know if it can be used.

The wm, for example, is configurable. I prefer to use kwin over openbox, for example, as it doesn't slow my computer, is well maintained and has a lot of features.

So maybe kio can also be used... But it's not default afaik

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

If you like Plasma so much, then why don't you use the LiquidShell DE on older computers? It's basically Plasma but optimized for older computers.
                Never heard of it. Will take a look!!! Tks for the tip

Comment

QUOTE=Vistaus;n1134049]

If you like Plasma so much, then why don't you use the LiquidShell DE on older computers? It's basically Plasma but optimized for older computers.[/QUOTE]

It looks like KDE3!!! Good old days........

Any info about the RAM usage of liquidshell???

Would like to compare it to LXQt...

Comment

Working...
                  X