Xfce 4.16 To Drop GTK2 Support, Explore Some Client-Side Decorations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    Such design goals cripple the professional desktop user who need as much power available to them as possible with as much ease as possible without hiding features away.

The file menu is a tried and true workflow concept in use over 20 years. Complex apps like Gimp, Inkscape, Blender, Krita, etc... wouldn't have a chance organizing so many functions for users.
    What does a file menu have to do with CSD?

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post

Totally agree!

For a regular computer, Plasma without any doubts.
      For old or special machines where all resources count I definitely prefer LXQt!

Both avoid CSD and I couldn't agree more with the choice!
      If you like Plasma so much, then why don't you use the LiquidShell DE on older computers? It's basically Plasma but optimized for older computers.

Comment

Originally posted by heliosh View Post
        2020? why the hurry? Or do they mean 2020s?
        Yeah, I thought Xfce was all about "good, slow development"? At least that's what fanboys keep saying...

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
          I didn't imagine people would be so passionate about who draws their title bars. Why does it matter so much, as long as they serve the same purpose?
          because in every extent scenario CSD breaks look and feel and also most app developers refuse to implement common wm functionality. It just isn an app devs job to do window management.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

Seems quite convenient to me.

except it lacks every major window management feature... place above or below, shade, fullscreen, etc... and it breaks look and feel... and look at how much white space there is... how -exactly- is any of that convenient?
            Last edited by duby229; 21 October 2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              So much butthurt over something so inconsequential...
              I've used interfaces with and without CSD, and it's never been a significant issue to me either way. Sure, anyone would prefer consistency, but as long as the software functions the way I need it to, I really don't see why decorations matter that much.
              If you ever need to place above or shade or fullscreen, you know common window management, then CSD would be an issue for you. Even if you don't mind huge amounts of white space and broken look and feel, its still not an apps job to do window management.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                CSD lets the application developers and users decide. Hating CSD is hating powerful applications and Freedom.

We cannot have that behaviour in this establishment.
                It does not let app developers go for SSD.

You are just a hardcore GNOME fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  If you ever need to place above or shade or fullscreen, you know common window management, then CSD would be an issue for you. Even if you don't mind huge amounts of white space and broken look and feel, its still not an apps job to do window management.
                  I don't recall ever having issue of window placement or fullscreen. I have had issues with shading, but, that happens so rarely, especially since I use multiple workspaces all the time (where shading and task management on a single display becomes less relevant).

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

because in every extent scenario CSD breaks look and feel and also most app developers refuse to implement common wm functionality. It just isn an app devs job to do window management.
                    Even if you use CSD, it's still not the job of the app developer. The toolkit (GTK or Qt) can take care of it for the dev, unless they want to customize it.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

Even if you use CSD, it's still not the job of the app developer. The toolkit (GTK or Qt) can take care of it for the dev, unless they want to customize it.
                      I disagree with you whole heartedly, it's still not the app devs job or the widget sets job to do window management.

Comment

Working...
                      X