Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xfce 4.16 To Drop GTK2 Support, Explore Some Client-Side Decorations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
    Also someone had told me (if I remember correctly he was the creator of gtk3-mushrooms) that when maximizing a CSD app it doesn't know about the screen resolution so it just increases its size by steps until it reaches the maximum size. That's why you can see that maximizing a CSD app is always a bit sluggish even in Wayland whereas all resize actions perfectly smooth for Server Side Decorations' apps when they are supported by the Wayland compositor.
    This seems very unlikely to me, maximizing an application is not just changing the dimensions of a window. The state of the window is changed and the placement of window is also adjusted (the latter would not happen using this method and as far as I know the information necessary to do this client side is missing on wayland). You can also have an application filling the screen while that application is not maximized. Tiling windows in a window manager like gala and I assume mutter also changes them to a maximized state while the application does not fill all available space.

    What might be going on is that the application is gradually resized when maximizing which causes many redraws (which may be more expensive than resizing a window with server side decorations depending on how the compositor handles resizing/maximizing (it may, for example, choose to only redraw the frame)) which slows this down, but that would be caused by the compositor and not the toolkit.

    Looking at the Gtk source code I can find no evidence of the behavior you described: xdg_toplevel_unset_maximized or zxdg_toplevel_v6_unset_maximized is called requesting the compositor to maximize the window.

    Comment


    • #32
      So much butthurt over something so inconsequential...
      I've used interfaces with and without CSD, and it's never been a significant issue to me either way. Sure, anyone would prefer consistency, but as long as the software functions the way I need it to, I really don't see why decorations matter that much.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by JonathanM View Post

        What might be going on is that the application is gradually resized when maximizing which causes many redraws (which may be more expensive than resizing a window with server side decorations depending on how the compositor handles resizing/maximizing (it may, for example, choose to only redraw the frame)) which slows this down, but that would be caused by the compositor and not the toolkit.
        Yeah I didn't mean that the actual resizing is done exactly how I wrote, but I was talking more about how the calculation is done and that it is more expensive.

        Originally posted by JonathanM View Post

        Looking at the Gtk source code I can find no evidence of the behavior you described: xdg_toplevel_unset_maximized or zxdg_toplevel_v6_unset_maximized is called requesting the compositor to maximize the window.
        Hmmm maybe I have misunderstood something then, thx for the comment.

        Comment


        • #34
          2020? why the hurry? Or do they mean 2020s?

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
            Such design goals cripple the professional desktop user who need as much power available to them as possible with as much ease as possible without hiding features away.

            The file menu is a tried and true workflow concept in use over 20 years. Complex apps like Gimp, Inkscape, Blender, Krita, etc... wouldn't have a chance organizing so many functions for users.
            What does a file menu have to do with CSD?

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Mavman View Post

              Totally agree!

              For a regular computer, Plasma without any doubts.
              For old or special machines where all resources count I definitely prefer LXQt!

              Both avoid CSD and I couldn't agree more with the choice!
              If you like Plasma so much, then why don't you use the LiquidShell DE on older computers? It's basically Plasma but optimized for older computers.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by heliosh View Post
                2020? why the hurry? Or do they mean 2020s?
                Yeah, I thought Xfce was all about "good, slow development"? At least that's what fanboys keep saying...

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                  I didn't imagine people would be so passionate about who draws their title bars. Why does it matter so much, as long as they serve the same purpose?
                  because in every extent scenario CSD breaks look and feel and also most app developers refuse to implement common wm functionality. It just isn an app devs job to do window management.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Shiba View Post


                    Seems quite convenient to me.


                    except it lacks every major window management feature... place above or below, shade, fullscreen, etc... and it breaks look and feel... and look at how much white space there is... how -exactly- is any of that convenient?
                    Last edited by duby229; 10-21-2019, 01:56 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      So much butthurt over something so inconsequential...
                      I've used interfaces with and without CSD, and it's never been a significant issue to me either way. Sure, anyone would prefer consistency, but as long as the software functions the way I need it to, I really don't see why decorations matter that much.
                      If you ever need to place above or shade or fullscreen, you know common window management, then CSD would be an issue for you. Even if you don't mind huge amounts of white space and broken look and feel, its still not an apps job to do window management.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X