Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kwin-lowlatency 5.17 Brings A Better Experience To The KDE Desktop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • kwin-lowlatency 5.17 Brings A Better Experience To The KDE Desktop

    Phoronix: kwin-lowlatency 5.17 Brings A Better Experience To The KDE Desktop

    Following this week's release of KDE Plasma 5.17, a new release of the independent kwin-lowlatency code has been re-based against version 5.17...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-5.17-Released

  • #2
    I'm hoping roman makes progress on his patches soon. 5.17 in xorg is more snappier on it's own however, so I'm lead to believe some of his work has already shown itself?

    Still not as fast as Kwin-lowlatency however. I installed lowlatency-5.17 an hour ago and it's great as always. Can't go without it considering Wayland on my AMD GPU still has that focus bug, and Xorg in vanilla kwin is noticeably slower still. Hopefully that changes soon.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Baguy View Post
      I'm hoping roman makes progress on his patches soon. 5.17 in xorg is more snappier on it's own however, so I'm lead to believe some of his work has already shown itself?

      Still not as fast as Kwin-lowlatency however. I installed lowlatency-5.17 an hour ago and it's great as always. Can't go without it considering Wayland on my AMD GPU still has that focus bug, and Xorg in vanilla kwin is noticeably slower still. Hopefully that changes soon.
      Did 5.17 fix the frame drops/dupes? This fork does proper vsync, and it not only fixes the lag issue but also the frame pacing issue that makes 60FPS videos in particular have hiccups/stutters with vanilla kwin.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Baguy View Post
        I'm hoping roman makes progress on his patches soon. 5.17 in xorg is more snappier on it's own however, so I'm lead to believe some of his work has already shown itself?

        Still not as fast as Kwin-lowlatency however. I installed lowlatency-5.17 an hour ago and it's great as always. Can't go without it considering Wayland on my AMD GPU still has that focus bug, and Xorg in vanilla kwin is noticeably slower still. Hopefully that changes soon.
        What is a focus bug?

        I've switched all my systems to kwin wayland. Hope to see more improvements there, but anyway great to see this experimental branch :-)
        Last edited by R41N3R; 10-19-2019, 09:54 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          This is by our own favorite Honorary Phoronix Editor tildearrow by the way. Or at least it's on tildearrow's GitHub. Congrats, can't wait to try it!

          Comment


          • #6
            Once Manjaro pushes out the 5.17 updates I'll be sure to update. I learned my lesson from 5.15>5.16

            Thanks, tildearrow

            Comment


            • #7
              I completely ditched kwin opengl backend; yes it has wobbly windows and 3d cube, and blur, but it is glitchy, has issues with flickering, missing textures from time to time, and is slower than xrender.
              All the bug i see, i've reported upstream YEARS ago, they're mostly still open, so i gave up on opengl.
              I'm just using xrender backend and nvidia FullCompositionPipeline to vsync; works good.
              I've bound the FullCompositionPipeline switch to a keypress:
              Code:
              #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              cat /home/koko/scripts/nvidia.compositionpipeline.switch.sh
              #!/bin/bash
              function osd {
                killall aosd_cat
                echo "$1" | aosd_cat -n "Sans Bold 15"  -x 0 -y 0 -p 0 -b 150 -s 255 -d 10 -R "white" -B black -u 5000 &
                echo "$1" | aosd_cat -n "Sans Bold 15"  -x 0 -y 0 -p 2 -b 150 -s 255 -d 10 -R "white" -B black -u 5000 &
              }
              
              Current_hz=$(xrandr --current |tr ' ' '\n'|grep \*|head -n 1|cut -d "." -f 1)
              MaxFPS=$[$Current_hz*2]
              
              if nvidia-settings -t -q CurrentMetaMode|grep 'ForceCompositionPipeline=On' &>/dev/null ; then
                  nvidia.compositionpipeline.disable.sh &
                  osd "FFCP:OFF"
                  kwriteconfig5 --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key MaxFPS $MaxFPS #<-- because xrender backend is totally untimed :-/
                  qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin reconfigure
                  sleep 0.2
                      else
                  nvidia.compositionpipeline.enable.sh &
                  qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin reconfigure
                  sleep 0.2
                  osd "FFCP:ON | $MaxFPS fps"
              fi
              
              #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              cat /home/koko/scripts/nvidia.compositionpipeline.enable.sh
              #/bin/bash
              sh -c "nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode=\"$(nvidia-settings -t -q CurrentMetaMode |tr -d "\n"|sed 's/ViewPortIn=/ForceCompositionPipeline=On, ViewPortIn=/g'|sed 's/.*:://'|sed 's/^ *//;s/ *$//')\""
              
              #call glxinfo because if not, gpu use goes from 10% to 0% forever (?)
              glxinfo &>/dev/null
              
              
              #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              cat /home/koko/scripts/nvidia.compositionpipeline.disable.sh
              #!/bin/bash
              sh -c "nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode=\"$(nvidia-settings -t -q CurrentMetaMode |tr -d "\n"|sed 's/.*:://'|sed 's/^ *//;s/ *$//'|sed "s/CompositionPipeline=On/CompositionPipeline=Off/g")\""
              As a bonus offtopic, speaking of vsync; i've found that all vulkan apps behaves funny when you don't allow nvidia to use pageflip, but still enable in-game vsync.
              It happens that when the app renders at monitor refresh rate or more, vsync is enabled; when it is unable to, you'll see tearing; it is something like nvidia adaptive vsync, but i think it happens by pure luck
              Last edited by kokoko3k; 10-19-2019, 01:09 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                You're welcome, people!

                I'm not sure how would I do Wayland unredirection though...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
                  I completely ditched kwin opengl backend; yes it has wobbly windows and 3d cube, and blur, but it is glitchy, has issues with flickering, missing textures from time to time, and is slower than xrender.
                  All the bug i see, i've reported upstream YEARS ago, they're mostly still open, so i gave up on opengl.
                  Can you try doing:

                  Code:
                  qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

                    What is a focus bug?

                    I've switched all my systems to kwin wayland. Hope to see more improvements there, but anyway great to see this experimental branch :-)
                    kwin wayland window focus bug that causes application input to be lost randomly. Happens with RX cards on AMDGPU drivers. Kwin developers couldn't reproduce or fix it for a long time now. I have doubts it will ever be fixed at this point (wish i knew how to fix it myself, but i don't).

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X