Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce4-Panel Adds Dark Mode Preference

Phoronix: Xfce4-Panel Adds Dark Mode Preference

As a change for next year's Xfce 4.16, the xfce4-panel now exposes a preferences option for those preferring "dark modes" of GTK themes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I actually been thinking for a while now the XFCE panel would look nicer if it used the dark-variant of Adwaita by default.

Comment

Xfce 4.16 is expected in 2020 as an evolutionary update to this lightweight GTK desktop that will focus on code cleaning and laying the groundwork for other improvements in post-4.16 releases.
      This is why I use Xfce. Not many projects have cleanup releases, and it shows.

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post
        This is why I use Xfce. Not many projects have cleanup releases, and it shows.
        the sole reason you use xfce? surely it's mainly because you like using it

Comment

The seeming, rising popularity dark modes & dark skins is not just about aesthetic preferences. The monitors we are using make many people squint. It can be like staring at the sun. We're looking at the more and more:

drive to work: in-car bright display
          check phone: bright display
          arrive at work: sit in front of bright display
          get home: sit on couch in front of giant bright display

for many, the first and last thing they pay attention to each day is their fondle-slab bright display.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
            The seeming, rising popularity dark modes & dark skins is not just about aesthetic preferences. The monitors we are using make many people squint. It can be like staring at the sun. We're looking at the more and more:

drive to work: in-car bright display
            check phone: bright display
            arrive at work: sit in front of bright display
            get home: sit on couch in front of giant bright display

for many, the first and last thing they pay attention to each day is their fondle-slab bright display.
            True. Every time I buy a new monitor they seem to get brighter and I end up turning brightness all the way down.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post

True. Every time I buy a new monitor they seem to get brighter and I end up turning brightness all the way down.
              Mines on the minimum brightness setting right now.

Where possible, I do reading on my ebook reader which has an e-ink display. This is not always possible though. You can buy e-ink monitors but they are expensive and have some big limitations.

Comment

Hmmm... Looks interesting, however, I hardly use XFCE anymore with i3wm being my desktop of choice. I had too many wonky issues with XFCE 4 getting a blank screen after many many XFCE 4 related updates—re-logins in which Ctrl+Alt+F# then back to F7 fixes.

Solution, delete it's related contents in .cache, .config folders and starting anew. I got tired of re-theming and readjusting stuff for it. I don't have any of those issues in simplistic and lightning fast gorgeous i3wm. I had the same issues with XFCE 4 in Ubuntu Studio and Manjaro.
                Last edited by creative; 19 October 2019, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X