No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter Begin Landing Graphene Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone working on a true hardware cursor, presentation feedback and proper vsync for xwayland windowed?
    All those things are missing in Gnome 3.34 Wayland, while they are there with Sway.
    There can be tons of other optimizations: Without such key issues solved, it will always be bad.

Comment

Britoid Yeah. Humans can do good MRs. Goerges does good MRs and then also reviews and lands other people’s work as well. That’s god level.

Comment

Woah now they landed this big boy.
        https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...e_requests/559

Someone should benchmark 3.35 vs 3.34!

Comment

I wonder if these changes will be more noticeable than removing JavaScript

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
            I wonder if these changes will be more noticeable than removing JavaScript
            The javascript tells the native code (written in C) what to do.

So most performance problems aren't caused by the Javascript.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I'm not familiar with Gnome Shell code, someone familiar with it can confirm. But my guess is that the rendering is happening in native code, but the animation loop itself and updating the props of moving objects is all happening in Javascript.

Comment

Goodbye overview grid lag. This was pretty much the only remaining lag not fixed in 3.34.
                https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...e_requests/763

Comment

And now the overview grid lag fix is hitting 3.34 as well. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

And now think how much overhead this implementation has? Especially when lots of addons are written in Javascript, which are updating 60+ frames per second and every one should tell native code what to do. Run JS, serialize a message to native code, then native code parses that message and understands what to do. Maybe it is not super CPU consuming but it definitely has a flaw - long pipeline which results to a noticeable delays. Me as NodeJS developer know that sometimes libraries with native bindings appear to be slower than plain JS libraries (true story - XML parser in one of my projects) - because of relatively heavy bridging between native and JS code. And knowing that Gnome uses JS as DE driver scares me to hell.

Comment

V1tol Got any profiling to back up the talk?

Comment

Working...
                      X