KDE Plasma 5.17 Released With Wayland Improvements, Better HiDPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    The fractional scaling doesn't work well, tried it on Wayland with 1,3 and the result was really blurry. Had to disable it and go back to 1x with an increased font DPI, looks much better. Seems like a good release anyway, just no major improvement on Wayland so far.
    For me 1.5 works fine with Gnome since 2017.
    So try 1.5 or 1.25.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post

Not really. Wayland works just fine for NVIDIA cards on GNOME. Also, NVIDIA isn't the only manufacturer being left out in the cold. Many other devices (Raspberry Pi, Rockchip based devices, etc.) don't work. The folks that designed Wayland should have used their brain. As a developer, there is no way in hell I would have locked out 80% of my user base.
      80% of the user base run Intel graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        About the GPU stats, looks like it is only new for Nvidia cards, since I had been monitoring temps and fan speed for AMD and Intel GPUs for a long time now.
        Plus before it was added there was scripts like this one: https://github.com/lestofante/ksysguard-gpu

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

80% of the user base run Intel graphics.
          Most of the plasma developers too. There's some longstanding AMD Wayland focus bugs that haven't been replicated because the developers are on intel hardware.

Comment

Not really. Wayland works just fine for NVIDIA cards on GNOME.
            So, does Vulkan work now with XWayland on Nvidia? If not, I'd still call that complete rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

To see improvements on Wayland, wait for the new Qt 5.14 version. Should solve some problems ...
              I use it already (from kde-unstable in Arch Linux), but I do not really see big differences.

Comment

Still does NOT work on NVIDIA cards due to Xorg dependencies.

EDIT: To be clear, NVIDIA and Wayland work fine with each other. NVIDIA and KDE don't because KDE has certain components still linked to X. XWayland doesn't work on NVIDIA cards.
                Just install the right window manager.

Comment

I use it already (from kde-unstable in Arch Linux), but I do not really see big differences.
                  Yeah. Definitely the patch then. 5.17.1 will be out on the 22nd, so it wont be too long. Alternatively, compile it: https://phabricator.kde.org/D23986

Comment

Personally I use the Plasma full wayland session on Tumbleweed and I have no problems, unfortunately I have a bug about transparency a few days ago, but I usually use it without problems.
                    With the new version of Qt there should be support for pointer animation and other things ... but in fact I use it daily without problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X