Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.17 Seeing Last Minute Bug Fixing

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.17 Seeing Last Minute Bug Fixing

With KDE Plasma 5.17 releasing soon, it's been seeing a lot of last minute fixes while feature activity is also brewing around Plasma 5.18...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's going on with Debian (testing/unstable)? Plasma is not getting any version updates there lately. It's very much behind. At this rate, it's getting an update once a year or so.

Is it because Qt is stuck and can't update to newer version?

Last edited by shmerl; 13 October 2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      What's going on with Debian (testing/unstable)? Plasma is not getting any version updates there lately. It's very much behind. At this rate, it's getting an update once a year or so.

Is it because Qt is stuck and can't update to newer version?

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/qtbase-opensource-src
      Well, plasma 5.17 does rely on QT 5.12 i think.

Comment

Then I wonder why Qt is updated so slowly in Debian.

Comment

Would be nice to see some more fixed for Plasma Wayland.

Comment

Out of date KDE/Plasma happens way too often with Debian. Even unstable is stuck on 5.14 and no PPA system to provide any alternatives. I use and recommend Manjaro KDE these days. It's excellent and I'll never have to reinstall because of an OS upgrade ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Then I wonder why Qt is updated so slowly in Debian.
              The fix is OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

Comment

Originally posted by markc View Post
                Out of date KDE/Plasma happens way too often with Debian. Even unstable is stuck on 5.14 and no PPA system to provide any alternatives. I use and recommend Manjaro KDE these days. It's excellent and I'll never have to reinstall because of an OS upgrade ever again.
                Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                The fix is OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
                Either one of those. For that matter, any well tested rolling release distribution applies with KDE with exceptions for things like Neon that roll the desktop with an LTS base.

I don't get it. Instead of picking KDE's LTS release and whatever QT version pairs with that, Debian, Ubuntu, and whatnot are using what seem to be random versions and I'm guessing that's due to their testing processes taking too long combined with how fast KDE development moves.

Comment

Even Kubuntu doesn't have latest Plasma/KDE so why it is suprising that Debian doesn't have them?

Code:
                  $ LC_ALL=c apt list --installed plasma*      
                  Listing... Done
                  plasma-desktop/disco,now 4:5.15.4-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  [CUT FOR BREVITY]
                  plasma-workspace-wallpapers/disco,disco,now 4:5.15.4-0ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
                  plasma-workspace/disco,now 4:5.15.4-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  Code:
                  $ LC_ALL=C apt list --installed qt*5*
                  Listing... Done
                  qt5-assistant/disco,now 5.12.2-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                  qt5-gtk-platformtheme/disco-updates,now 5.12.2+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 amd64 [installed]
                  qt5-image-formats-plugins/disco,now 5.12.2-1 amd64 [installed]
                  qt5-qmake-bin/disco-updates,now 5.12.2+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                  qt5-qmake/disco-updates,now 5.12.2+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 amd64 [installed]
                  qtbase5-dev-tools/disco-updates,now 5.12.2+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                  qtbase5-dev/disco-updates,now 5.12.2+dfsg-4ubuntu1.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                  qtspeech5-flite-plugin/disco,now 5.12.2-1 amd64 [installed]
                  qttools5-dev-tools/disco,now 5.12.2-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                  qttranslations5-l10n/disco,disco,now 5.12.2-1 all [installed]
                  qtwayland5/disco,now 5.12.2-1 amd64 [installed]
                  Code:
                  $ LC_ALL=C apt list --installed kde*
                  Listing... Done
                  kde-cli-tools-data/disco,disco,now 4:5.15.4-0ubuntu1 all [installed]
                  kde-cli-tools/disco,now 4:5.15.4-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  kde-config-gtk-style-preview/disco,now 4:5.15.4-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  kde-config-gtk-style/disco,now 4:5.15.4-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  kde-config-mailtransport/disco,now 18.12.3-0ubuntu2 amd64 [installed]
                  kde-config-screenlocker/disco,now 5.15.4-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  kde-config-sddm/disco,now 4:5.15.4-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  kde-config-tablet/disco,now 3.1.1-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                  kde-config-whoopsie/disco,now 15.10ubuntu2 amd64 [installed]
                  kde-l10n-engb/disco,disco,now 4:17.08.3-0ubuntu5 all [installed]
                  kde-l10n-pl/disco,disco,now 4:17.08.3-0ubuntu5 all [installed,automatic]
                  kde-runtime-data/disco,disco,now 4:17.08.3-0ubuntu2 all [installed]
                  kde-runtime/disco,now 4:17.08.3-0ubuntu2 amd64 [installed]
                  kde-spectacle/disco,now 18.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  kde-style-breeze-qt4/disco,now 4:5.15.4.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  kde-style-breeze/disco,now 4:5.15.4.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  kde-style-oxygen-qt5/disco,now 4:5.15.4-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  kde-style-qtcurve-qt4/disco,now 1.9-2build3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                  kde-style-qtcurve-qt5/disco,now 1.9-2build3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                  kdeconnect/disco,now 1.3.4-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  kded5/disco,now 5.56.0-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  kdegames-card-data-kf5/disco,disco,now 4:18.12.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
                  kdegames-mahjongg-data-kf5/disco,disco,now 4:18.12.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
                  kdegraphics-thumbnailers/disco,now 4:18.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  kdelibs-bin/disco-updates,disco-security,now 4:4.14.38-0ubuntu6.1 amd64 [installed]
                  kdelibs5-data/disco-updates,disco-updates,disco-security,disco-security,now 4:4.14.38-0ubuntu6.1 all [installed]
                  kdelibs5-plugins/disco-updates,disco-security,now 4:4.14.38-0ubuntu6.1 amd64 [installed]
                  kdemultimedia-kio-plugins/now 4:17.12.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed,local]
                  kdenetwork-filesharing/disco,now 4:18.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  kdenlive-data/disco,disco,now 4:18.12.3a-0ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
                  kdenlive/disco,now 4:18.12.3a-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  kdepim-addons/disco,now 18.12.3-0ubuntu2 amd64 [installed]
                  kdepim-runtime/disco,now 4:18.12.3-0ubuntu2 amd64 [installed]
                  kdepim-themeeditors/disco,now 4:18.12.3-0ubuntu2 amd64 [installed]
                  kdeplasma-addons-data/disco,disco,now 4:5.15.4-0ubuntu1 all [installed]

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    I don't get it. Instead of picking KDE's LTS release and whatever QT version pairs with that, Debian, Ubuntu, and whatnot are using what seem to be random versions and I'm guessing that's due to their testing processes taking too long combined with how fast KDE development moves.
                    Meanwhile, OpenSUSE Leap (the yearly "frozen release" of OpenSUSE) ships with LTS Qt version instead of "whatever happened to be in testing when there was a feature freeze".

Comment

Working...
                    X