KDE Frameworks 6 Discussions Light Up With Qt 6.0 Coming Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 6 Discussions Light Up With Qt 6.0 Coming Next Year

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 6 Discussions Light Up With Qt 6.0 Coming Next Year

With The Qt Company working hard now on development around Qt 6, the KDE developers are beginning their early discussions over their path forward to adopting this next evolutionary tool-kit update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think KDE should maintain their own version of Qt. Debloated, stable and stick to it for years. The core of KDE should be rock solid instead rewritten with every new Qt release.

Comment

I hope it won't take until then to integrate kio-fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
        The core of KDE should be rock solid instead rewritten with every new Qt release.
        That is not true and has nothing to do with the Qt version. Also, going from Qt 5 to 6 will most likely be an easy transition.

Comment

I hope it really goes more seamless than the QT4->5 transition ^^

Comment

From what I've read, it won't be like from Qt4 to Qt5, but it will be painless since there will be backwards compatibility.
            The Qt infrastructure had to undergo significant changes from Qt4 to Qt5 as native Wayland support was needed, but this will not be a problem from Qt5 to Qt6.

Comment

I think KDE should maintain their own version of Qt. Debloated, stable and stick to it for years. The core of KDE should be rock solid instead rewritten with every new Qt release.
              They actually have a KDE Plasma LTS version that they do that with and the normal KDE Plasma that we read about on Phoronix. I know that at least Suse 15.1/SLED uses it.

5.12 is their current LTS version and is still seeing updates and fixes; 5.16 is the current stable version; 5.17 is the current beta version. I wish Manjaro would offer LTS like they offer the stable and beta versions.

Comment

They don't have enough developers for that, and then we get people who whine and complain just like with the current TDE situation.

Comment

A lot of people laugh at me for saying this, but I think KDE should move away from QT entirely. In order to develop closed source apps for KDE, you really do need a QT commercial license, which costs more than an MSDN subscription from Microsoft (last I checked). KDE can still support QT for backwards compatibility of course. Maybe use Microsoft .net core in conjunction with XAML to describe UI elements, then they can piggy back off Visual Studio. Hell they could build a WPF compatibility layer and suddenly Windows apps using WPF start working on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post

A lot of people laugh at me for saying this, but I think KDE should move away from QT entirely. In order to develop closed source apps for KDE, you really do need a QT commercial license, which costs more than an MSDN subscription from Microsoft (last I checked). KDE can still support QT for backwards compatibility of course. Maybe use Microsoft .net core in conjunction with XAML to describe UI elements, then they can piggy back off Visual Studio. Hell they could build a WPF compatibility layer and suddenly Windows apps using WPF start working on Linux.
                    This is perhaps in the Gtk plans but certainly not Kde which makes open source the basis on which to build something. I am happy in Gnu / Linux we can have a Gtk graphic interface and a Qt the competition is good for both, but I know that instead there are those who against every principle of freedom would like Gnu / Linux to be just Gtk stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X