X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by romangg View Post
    Correction: composite unredirect is not something we pursue. One feature that I will assess in the future instead is making use of auto-list compositing in KWin. But this needs some more work in XServer first.

Sorry for not being clear about that in the slides provided.
    Thanks for dropping by Roman - and if you see this - to you and all the others that work on it - Nice work on KWin! I am looking forward to using your work now and well into the future!

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by romangg View Post
    Correction: composite unredirect is not something we pursue. One feature that I will assess in the future instead is making use of auto-list compositing in KWin. But this needs some more work in XServer first.

Wait, what?

What is so wrong with unredirection anyway?

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Originally posted by khnazile View Post
    Oh, now they want unredirect back. What happened? Is something happend to X11 that made supporting unredirect easier for KWin? Because back then they removed it last time, they claimed it was an unsupportable pile of junk, and that anyone who against it is just a secret hater of KDE.
    Their are now three KWin maintainers, who apparently approach such questions in a more pragmatic manner than the old maintainer. A very welcome development.

Leave a comment:

• romangg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• khnazile
    replied
    On the X11 front, they still plan to support composite unredirect as well as blocking and other improvements
    Oh, now they want unredirect back. What happened? Is something happend to X11 that made supporting unredirect easier for KWin? Because back then they removed it last time, they claimed it was an unsupportable pile of junk, and that anyone who against it is just a secret hater of KDE.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Looking forward to KWin/Wayland using WSI/Vulkan renderer, and supporting adaptive sync. Right now it's too tied to EGL/OpenGL.
    Last edited by shmerl; 10-08-2019, 12:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Recently I've been running the marco window manager from mate on the Trinity Desktop. Much better overall effects and responsiveness than kwin. $ marco --replace

I like marco's motto: "Many window managers are like Marshmallow Froot Loops, Marco is like Cheerios."

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Perhaps that was a matter of a difference to our used settings, what GPU we have, or when/how we compiled it -- Compile it at the wrong time and it will behave badly due to it being slightly behind or slightly ahead of what's available in the repositories; sometimes I have to build it a version behind while waiting on Manjaro to play catch-up.

All I know is that I've been having a great desktop experience with kwin-lowlatency and I haven't been able attribute any crashes or issues to it since I've been using it.

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    I stopped using the low latency fork, it caused random crashes for me, and sometime stuttering. I also could not actually "feel" a difference.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    I read the slides but didn't see any mention of tildearrow's low-latency fork. I'm hoping that's what the last bullet-point is for.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X