KDE Kicked Off October With Dolphin Improvements, Continued HiDPI Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Kicked Off October With Dolphin Improvements, Continued HiDPI Work

Phoronix: KDE Kicked Off October With Dolphin Improvements, Continued HiDPI Work

KDE developers spent the first week of October working on improvements to their Dolphin file manager, seemingly never-ending work on HiDPI support, and a variety of other enhancements for this leading open-source desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Always anticipating Nate's post each Sunday.
    And really glad to see that the fractional scaling artifacts have mostly been tackled now. In fact, Plasma probably now has already the most convenient fractional scaling on xorg.

Comment

Is it just me, or is KDE terrible?

I feel like KDE is probably the last thing I would want to use.
      I would prefer GNOME, Windows 10, Xfce, macOS, last on the list would be KDE, just before Weston and Enlightenment. I think probably like Sway, i3, wmii, etc before KDE too maybe.
      Last edited by uid313; 06 October 2019, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I feel like KDE is probably the last thing I would want to use.
        I would prefer GNOME, Windows 10, Xfce, macOS, last on the list would be KDE, just before Weston and Enlightenment. I think probably like Sway, i3, wmii, etc before KDE too maybe.
        Judging by your missing skills of how to formulate constructive criticism, probably your PC skills are at fault, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          Judging by your missing skills of how to formulate constructive criticism, probably your PC skills are at fault, yes.
          KDE have terrible usability. It has a million of buttons, menus, and options. It is super confusing. It looks like shit.

Comment

It's actually pretty great if you know what you're doing and customize it to your liking (which is the whole point about KDE). Want it to behave like MacOS - just install "Latte Dock" and make a top panel with a global appmenu (also supports GTK applications if you have the necessary packages installed). Want it to be like Windows 10 - there is a theme pack out there. Want it to be like GNOME - get the full screen app launcher widget, set up an active corner and use the allmighty shortcuts (hotkeys) editor.

As far as accessibility goes, KDE has a comprehensive manual included with every program of the stack (just open KHelpCenter and have a look). The default desktop layout might be a bit boring, but is perfectly usable.

KDE have terrible usability. It has a million of buttons, menus, and options. It is super confusing. It looks like shit.
            I think you'd find more people on 4chan that resonate with your opinion and way of criticism.
            Last edited by kiffmet; 06 October 2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

You just don't like it. Does not mean it is bad. People are different, they expect different things from their PC.

Comment

Nope, but your comment looks like shit. However, there's some way for improvement.

Comment

KDE have terrible usability.
                  So does Linux in general, yet here you are. If you disagree, well, that's how KDE users feel about KDE.
                  Usability is relative. I personally find KDE (and Linux, for that matter) to be pretty easy, but I've also been using it for several years.
                  It has a million of buttons, menus, and options.
                  Most of which are easily ignorable, and can only be seen when you go out of your way to see them. If you need to find something, the System Settings has a very helpful search feature.
                  Kind of the point of KDE is to be highly customizable in a relatively user-friendly manner, and it does that a lot better than you think. It's not possible to have so many options at your fingertips without being initially overwhelming. Although I personally think GNOME is a well-built interface, it lacks way too many features for me. To access those features, you need Tweak Tool, which is a hell of a lot more cumbersome, ugly, and user-unfriendly than how KDE would allow you to tweak the same features (where applicable). Tweak Tool is basically just a slightly more user-friendly approach to the Windows registry, and that's not a compliment.

But y'know what's great about open-source platforms like Linux? You get a choice. If KDE doesn't suit your needs, fine - don't use it. That doesn't mean it's terrible. GNOME is too crippling for me to use but I often find myself recommending it to a lot of people, because even though it doesn't suit my needs, I can still acknowledge that it's good.
                  It is super confusing.
                  How? For the most part, it functions like Windows but with some additional things here and there (again, stuff you can easily ignore).
                  It looks like shit.
                  How often does it need to be said that you can change the appearance? Same thing goes for people who bitch about XFCE or LXDE/LXQt - it doesn't have to look ugly and outdated. It's not hard to make it look good. It really boggles my mind how people judge an entire UI because of it's default appearance.
                  Meanwhile, although GNOME doesn't look bad, it's the most visually limiting of every desktop environment. If someone happened to not like it, there's not a whole lot they can do to change that.

Comment

Well, that's your opinion. You have to learn KDE to get the most out of it, just like any other OS/DE. Personally, I like options. In fact, that's why I stopped using GNOME after 2.x, because they ripped out or obscured important options.
                    As for the look, it's very customizable. You sound like debianxfce trying to tell everyone Xubuntu sucks because they don't have the workspace switcher in the panel by default. (Hint: No one takes you seriously when you sound like debianxfce.)

Comment

Working...
                    X