Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    your accusation sort of void
    That is not an accusation, and I never claimed everyone on Windows or Mac suffer from it, unlike you seem to claim it is more common on Linux for some reason. It's more limited to power users and developers, but those can be found on Windows and Mac as well, regardless of your own personal opinions.

But since you can't sleep well without me throwing around some accusations and flaming BSDs, here is an accusation:

You can be a version-fetish only on platforms that actually ship the latest ant greatest on a regular basis. Windows, Mac and Linux. You won't find version-fetishists on BSD for sure, most of their userspace for desktop use is outdated crap.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
      Don't know about Mac users (not overly common hereabouts) and most Windows users I know personally like older W7 far more than shiny new W10.. rendering your accusation sort of void, but seeing Linux users either bitch about "old" versions of packages or crow over "freshest" is IMHO extremely common occurence.. So I am going to stick to my opinion.
      Many people stayed with Windows 7 when Windows 8 came, and even in the early days of Windows 10. But nowadays most people have gone over to Windows 10, it has the biggest market share now.
      Windows 7 was great, Windows 8 was shitty, and early Windows 10 could need some work, but nowadays Windows 10 is great!
      Unfortunately I haven't gotten to use Mac much, but would love to play with it for a bit. It seems okay.

Version-fetish is a geek thing, and for people who are security aware. You shouldn't use old, outdated software which may suffer from unpatched security vulnerabilities, that is just foolish. Always install the latest system updates, and keep your software up to date.

Comment

Canonical better do something to merge the patch that reintroduces SIMD versions of RAID checksums and encryption. Currently encryption has terribly low performance - in my case about ~15 slower than non-encrypted datasets!

Comment

They better not before it's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Version-fetish is a geek thing, and for people who are security aware. You shouldn't use old, outdated software which may suffer from unpatched security vulnerabilities, that is just foolish. Always install the latest system updates, and keep your software up to date.
            Functionality-wise there's usually little-to-no difference between using few years old and latest (for example, I don't see need to download last version of GIMP for basic graphics manipulation, some random old version works equally well).

Sometimes you even avoid regressions that way. I only care about having "latest" in potentially risky use cases like web browsers. THERE it's entirely justified. Latest ain't usually greatest, there ain't usually any difference whatsoever unless a) theres critical security fix b) functionality you need, was added.

When one decrees something "old" only because 0.1 difference in version number without even caring about changelog, it comes over to me as a "fetish".

New software is equally as likely to produce new vulnerabilities, security-wise effect can go both ways. Or we'd have run out of security bugs few decades a go.
            Last edited by aht0; 07 October 2019, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              That is not an accusation, and I never claimed everyone on Windows or Mac suffer from it, unlike you seem to claim it is more common on Linux for some reason. It's more limited to power users and developers, but those can be found on Windows and Mac as well, regardless of your own personal opinions.

But since you can't sleep well without me throwing around some accusations and flaming BSDs, here is an accusation:

You can be a version-fetish only on platforms that actually ship the latest ant greatest on a regr basis. Windows, Mac and Linux. You won't find version-fetishists on BSD for sure, most of their userspace for desktop use is outdated crap.
              Comparison of package versions between openSUSE Tumbleweed and FreeBSD. I originally did search against openSUSE 15.1 but results baffled me.
              https://distrowatch.com/dwres-mobile...irstversions=0

Shut up now about "outdated crap"? Outdated gets only stuff vendor-locked by hardcoded requirements for systemd (Gnome3 for example). But even thats newer than what you get with OpenSUSE 15.1)

Ravenports is developed by John R. Marino (DragonFly BSD dev).
              Last edited by aht0; 07 October 2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X