Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blender 2.81 In Next Phase Of Development With NVIDIA RTX Optix, Intel Open Image Denoise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 2.81 In Next Phase Of Development With NVIDIA RTX Optix, Intel Open Image Denoise

Phoronix: Blender 2.81 In Next Phase Of Development With NVIDIA RTX Optix, Intel Open Image Denoise

The Blender 2.81 release cycle has entered its "bcon2" development phase of development with the focus shifting to bug fixing and stabilizing new features with now being past the initial window of merging in the big ticket items...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still feel the UI is confusing in 2.80, they redesigned it, and it is probably much better now, but I still find it confusing. I guess it must be very difficult to make this kind of software easy to use and intuitive.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I still feel the UI is confusing in 2.80, they redesigned it, and it is probably much better now, but I still find it confusing. I guess it must be very difficult to make this kind of software easy to use and intuitive.
      Take a look at 3DS Max and Maya 3D user interface. Blender 2.8x is much better.

Comment

I think the UI is better and I generally am not the first to like new things.

That said I am much faster with 2.79 and pretty crap with 2.80 but I suppose that is me just having to relearn (an annoying waste of time).

The biggest issue for us is that they dropped the old blender render. I feel when baking lightmaps it actually gave a nicer output than cycles and I still haven't finished porting the tool to use Eevee.

Comment

You've been saying this in every Blender thread. It's getting very annoying.

Blender isn't meant for Average Joe. It targets the graphic designer.
          Maybe you aren't a graphics designer and hence your negative feelings towards it.
          Last edited by tildearrow; 03 October 2019, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Blender 2.80 release really was a mid stage beta and 2.81 is better but the real 2.80 won't be stable and consistent until 2.82 is released. Building it daily shows me the UX and much of the workflow is still in flux which should not be at this point. The core is constantly in flux and too much of a moving target to be considered ready. The project's new major sponsorships and development investment should help if Ton is willing to adapt some of these big sponsor in-house best practices into the main branch of master. Specifically, the contributions back are finally seeing peer reviews more rapidly and consistently leading to less of these Google SoC code rot projects.

One reality is for certain, sooner rather than later whether it is EPIC Games or Ubisoft who have both adopted Blender, they will have to do the heavy lifting for Metal 2 API or it will rot on OS X.
            Last edited by Marc Driftmeyer; 03 October 2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
              One reality is for certain, sooner rather than later whether it is EPIC Games or Ubisoft who have both adopted Blender, they will have to do the heavy lifting for Metal 2 API or it will rot on OS X.
              I don't think either of those companies are big on macOS. Perhaps that platform is doomed

Also, you have things like MoltenVk and numerous OpenGL on Metal abstraction layers. I am pretty sure this is going to be the way forward for niche platforms like Metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                I don't think either of those companies are big on macOS. Perhaps that platform is doomed

Also, you have things like MoltenVk and numerous OpenGL on Metal abstraction layers. I am pretty sure this is going to be the way forward for niche platforms like Metal.
                If I were part of the group responsible for Blender, I'd take a good hard look at whatever FLOSS OpenGL -> Vulkan middleware exist and plan accordingly.

In the near term, OpenGL isn't going away. Relying on the best-of-breed OpenGL -> Vulkan middleware layer might even lead to rapid improvements in said middleware layer, since Blender is no longer just a bit player.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  I just hope Apple will adopt Vulkan when they observe that 99.9% of devs use MoltenVK.

Comment

The fact Apple won't use Vulkan is ridiculous. Even if they wanted to add some proprietary, Apple, BS it'd at least have the base support too

Comment

Working...
                    X