No announcement yet.

Xfce's xfce4-panel Says Farewell To GTK2 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gtk3 has terrible colour/theme support, having to experiment with css files until it works is a terrible hack.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
      By the time XFCE completes its full transition to GTK3, GTK4 will have been released...
      And... ?

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
        All joking aside, glad to see the progress!
        So does this mean that Wayland support in XFCE is finally on the horizon?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

So imma tell ya about my OS. It's based on _____________
          s/_+/Debian testing/g

OK, let's not take this joke any further...

Comment

I really admire Xfce's way of doing things.

Comment

Running Debian Bullseye with xfce. Of all the desktops I have used till today, this combo is simply the best!!!

Comment

I'm really looking forward to see a Lubuntu 19.10 vs Xubuntu 19.10 memory comparison ( being both lite weight ).

Does anyone knows what's the current memory consumption of XFCE 4.14 vs XFCE 4.12?

Did it increased? (Just curios)

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
                  Did it increased? (Just curios)
                  Gtk 3 is quite a bit heavier than Gtk 2 so it will increase.
                  However before this work, both Gtk 3 and Gtk 2 were loaded into memory so it was even more expensive.
                  Now that just Gtk 3 is needed; it will be heavier than a pure Gtk 2 version of Xfce but lighter than having to load both.

That said, many programs are still Gtk 2 so unless you only want to faff with the Xfce desktop, you will end up loading both libraries into memory anyway to actually do things.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

That said, many programs are still Gtk 2 so unless you only want to faff with the Xfce desktop, you will end up loading both libraries into memory anyway to actually do things.
                    Yes, but indeed i'm actually interested in just the desktop ( as in booting the system and not opening any other software beside the one the distro loads by default )

and then compare it to 4.12 and maybe lxqt (i know it's not that polished but for really old machines it's interesting to see which one would eat less memory )

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

So imma tell ya about my OS. It's based on _____________ with Mesa git builds from ______________ which is really for ________________ but their OS and my OS are close enough that's it's all good. You also have to compile an amd-staging kernel even though you have an R9 390 and there is nothing in the staging kernel you actually need, but it's bleeding-edge so you has ta use it. From there you have to install XFCE from ___________ repository because they build it from source and include all the in-progress GTK3 code that makes XFCE even faster and lighter. After that you should watch my video hosted at ___________ where I discuss the remaining 57 tweaks that have to be done. If Michael could test that you all would see that my OS is the best there is and that KDE sucks and you're just wasting your time with that crappy low-latency fork of KWin that skeevy420 doesn't use at all because it's horrible and bloated and XFCE is just so much leaner and faster.
                      And you have to add lots of PPA's to said Debian base.

Comment

Working...
                      X