Ubuntu 19.10 Beta Released - The Eoan Ermine Brings The Latest Linux Goods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 19.10 Beta Released - The Eoan Ermine Brings The Latest Linux Goods

Phoronix: Ubuntu 19.10 Beta Released - The Eoan Ermine Brings The Latest Linux Goods

The Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine" is now available in beta form with the official release being less than one month away...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad it doesn't have glibc 2.31.

Comment

Michael Speaking of distros, Lenovo admits CPU throttling on their recent Intel Thinkpad models, promise to deliver a firmware solution for the lack of a Intel DPTF (Windows only) software on Linux:

Recent Lenovo ThinkPad laptops have a throttling problem when users are running Linux-based operating systems on their devices. Lenovo has now admitted to the problem – and announced that it will be fixed. Newer ThinkPads like the X1 Carbon Gen 7 or ThinkPad T490 are affected.

Comment

What sets Ubuntu really apart from all the other distros out there is that they give one the option of a low-latency desktop via the "lowlatency" kernel package (1000 Hz + PREEMPT + IRQ threading).

Here's what some of the other distris are doing:

Fedora: 1000 Hz, but no PREEMPT

openSUSE: 250 Hz & had PREEMPT until 4.20, but then silently disabled it for Linux 5.0.

Debian: 250 Hz & no PREEMPT (Ubuntu's standard "generic" kernel is based on this).

Arch / Manjaro: 300 Hz + PREEMPT

Therefore, Ubuntu really does offer a unique Linux kernel configuration not available anywhere else!

Comment

What about Raspberry Pi 4 support?

Comment

Linuxxx
            In defense of Manjaro, they provide a bunch of kernels and extra modules that next to no other distributions provide in such a variety.

In defense of both Arch and Manjaro, they don't necessarily have to provide in the repositories what's offered in the AUR.

Other distributions where you have to either do it manually or use 3rd party repositories, yeah, I'm with you there. Some of those distributions don't really make the do it manually part very easy. Put me on something on like Arch, Void, or even Gentoo and I'm just fine doing crazy stuff because they're designed to make that easy; put me on something like Suse and it makes me feel like I'm retarded...It's like, "No, Suse, I don't want the OBS, I want to rebuild this crap locally with march=native and your documentation is not helping me at all ".
            Last edited by skeevy420; 27 September 2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
              Arch / Manjaro: 300 Hz + PREEMPT
              What? I thought Arch used 1000Hz?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                option of a low-latency desktop via the "lowlatency" kernel package (1000 Hz + PREEMPT + IRQ threading).
                Hmm now that you mention this it wouldn't be a bad idea to spend a nice evening testing 19.10 beta with Ubuntu's lowlatency kernel and tuned-adm's low-latency-performance predefined profile...now that GNOME 3.34's UI is smoother than ever before it could be interesting.

https://access.redhat.com/sites/defa...rhel7-v1.1.pdf (RHEL Low Latency Performance Tuning)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

What? I thought Arch used 1000Hz?
                  It's 300.

Comment

Uthose of you discussing the lowlatency kernel either don't have NVIDIA cards or haven't tried the kernel: it isn't compatible with the proprietary drivers.

I have used many distros over the years, but I have found Arch to give the best performance in gaming and content editing workloads.

Comment

Working...
                    X