Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 31 Lands Good GStreamer AAC & H.264 Support

Phoronix: Fedora 31 Lands Good GStreamer AAC & H.264 Support

On top of many other changes for Fedora Workstation 31, this next release of Fedora Linux continues to improve the experience for proprietary multimedia codecs where the patents have lapsed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be great if Fedora had the means to automatically compile and install mpv, ffmpeg, x264 and x265 'cause while this change is nice it's really incomplete as too many codecs are still not supported out of the box. And certainly you cannot encode/reencode videos into h264 and h265.

Yes, I perfectly know about RPMFusion but most users will not bother installing and enabling it. Also RPMFusion is a third-party project not affiliated with RH/Fedora in any shape or form, so there's an issue of trust. I used their packages in the past but nowadays I compile from sources.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      It would be great if Fedora had the means to automatically compile and install mpv, ffmpeg, x264 and x265 'cause while this change is nice it's really incomplete as too many codecs are still not supported out of the box. And certainly you cannot encode/reencode videos into h264 and h265.
      Fedora can't do that

Providing a means to automatically compile is no different from providing the binary packages from a legal perspective

Comment

Yes, I perfectly know about RPMFusion but most users will not bother installing and enabling it. Also RPMFusion is a third-party project not affiliated with RH/Fedora in any shape or form, so there's an issue of trust. I used their packages in the past but nowadays I compile from sources.
        You can also grab them from Flathub.

Comment

This is why we need AV1 and Opus to become the industry standards.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Fedora can't do that

Providing a means to automatically compile is no different from providing the binary packages from a legal perspective
            This is the type of idiotic thinking that prevents me from using Fedora or even considering it a serious product.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Fedora can't do that

This doesn't make any sense and I'm almost sure that's not factually correct. Nothing prevents Fedora from hosting a bash script which can do all of that automatically.

Originally posted by treba View Post
              At the moment AV1 is not a codec for end users as it's simply too computationally expensive to be usable. Even VP9, which AV1 based on, is significantly slower than the already slow x265 codec. AV1 could be a good codec for streaming content but that's about it.

Originally posted by treba View Post
              So, instead of trusting RPMFusion you offer me to trust random Joes distributing content on Flathub? No thanks. And I don't want to have hundreds of megabytes of wasted space because Flatpaks come with everything starting with glibc.
              Last edited by birdie; 25 September 2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

This doesn't make any sense and I'm almost sure that's not factually correct. Nothing prevents Fedora from hosting a bash script which can do all of that automatically.
                Quoted directly from the Fedora patent page:

Can't you link to third party repositories and guide users to find such software?

In general, no, because of the risk of liability for contributory patent infringement. Refer here for more details.
                Technically speaking, a bash script would fall under the "guide users" part.

Dumb crap like needing "unaffiliated with the distribution multimedia repositories" was enough to drive me away from most of the mainstream, big player distributions over a decade ago.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Quoted directly from the Fedora patent page:

Technically speaking, a bash script would fall under the "guide users" part.

Dumb crap like needing "unaffiliated with the distribution multimedia repositories" was enough to drive me away from most of the mainstream, big player distributions over a decade ago.
                  Yeah, right and at the same time:

Learn more about Fedora Linux, the Fedora Project & the Fedora Community.

So, hosting links to patent-infringing repos is OK while having a script for that is not OK. There's so much sense to it.

Comment

Yeah, right and at the same time:

So, hosting links to patent-infringing repos is OK while having a script for that is not OK. There's so much sense to it.
                    They're community created pages.

Comment

Working...
                    X