KDE Plasma 5.17 Beta Rolls Out With Wayland Improvements, Overhauled Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right click a title bar > More Actions > Window Manager Settings

Not as customizable as full-blown KDE, but allows using some advanced features like screen-edge half-screen resizes, compositor settings, and KWin scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Right click a title bar > More Actions > Window Manager Settings

Not as customizable as full-blown KDE, but allows using some advanced features like screen-edge half-screen resizes, compositor settings, and KWin scripts.
      Oh I see - perfect thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Out of curiosity, why not use KWin from Plasma for those effects and abilities?
        Because as much as I love KDE (though I love Trinity a bit more), KWin is a piece of crap. kwin-lowlatency with the Mesa Intel hack is a major improvement, but it's still not as fast and smooth as TWin or Compiz.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Because as much as I love KDE (though I love Trinity a bit more), KWin is a piece of crap. kwin-lowlatency with the Mesa Intel hack is a major improvement, but it's still not as fast and smooth as TWin or Compiz.
          ...Compiz? Doesn't Compiz use a timer for rendering too?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yeah, I'm not completely pleased with any of them. TWin is missing some features I really like but otherwise is light and good looking and pretty much perfect. compiz is a nightmare to configure, ugly, and poorly documented. kwin_x11 is too heavy but has the features I like and is still decent looking. Tough call. It's nice to have some choices though. I may stay in TWin for day-to-day browsing and email stuff, and then switch to kwin_x11 when I have to copy/paste a lot of stuff between windows.

Comment

I noticed icewm also works as the window manager, but it doesn't really bring anything to the table. None of the features that I miss in TWin, and not as good looking as TWin.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Wow, that did work. I had kwin installed already but couldn't get it to function in Trinity. Then I installed the kwin-x11 package from Debian, and invoked it with:
                $ kwin_x11 --replace

This is very interesting, much better than compiz. Thanks for the suggestion, I wasn't aware there was a way to get it to work, but I found a note on the Q4OS forums that led me to the solution. Very little else written online about it. This is performing much faster than compiz, and with a lot less configuration effort.
                And strangely enough, basically what Martin recommended and wrote about back in 2011-2012. Guess the guy knew something abut window managers and the code in question:-)

Comment

All those people that write on Kde5 (and Kwin of course) as soon as someone writes of the better Trinity Desktop (former Kde3) is hilarious.
                  Compiz was the first, the its code has been used (stolen) by all the others (and by Kwin of course).

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
                    All those people that write on Kde5 (and Kwin of course) as soon as someone writes of the better Trinity Desktop (former Kde3) is hilarious.
                    Compiz was the first, the its code has been used (stolen) by all the others (and by Kwin of course).
                    I never knew KWin stole code from Compiz?

Comment

Working...
                    X