KDE Plasma 5.17 Beta Rolls Out With Wayland Improvements, Overhauled Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frank007 View Post

The best way to keep updated with security and all the rest is to keep your computer turned off.
    First of all, I want a computer that makes what I want, not viceversa.
    Yeah, that is a healthy attitude...

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      I case you remember me mentioning some weird slowdowns of Plasma/KDE I was having: Looks like it was related to Thunar's dbus-1 services (/usr/share/dbus-1/services/).
      Since I deleted them, Dolphin always starts quickly, no more random file browsing slowness etc.
      Isn’t Thunar a filemanager for xfce or something?

Comment

always good see kde updates in my package manager.
        here's hoping they merge kwin-lowlatency or do something about the state of vsync soon

Comment

On the topic of "lightweight" desktops, I have an old Atom Netbook. The IGP is not capable of running a composited desktop without major slowdowns.

I have been using XFCE on it as what seems like the best of the desktops for old systems, but the experience is not what I'd call "fluid". If Plasma5/kwin could just cope happily on that IGP I'd switch back for KWIN alone. KWIN is a lot smarter about using screen space efficiently, so works better on that stupidly-low resolution screen. Alas, it requires GL2 capable hardware to work well.

Very sad, we had GL3 hardware for half a decade before that thing was designed. I'm so glad that Intel picked up their IGP efforts since Broadwell, so now they are on par ITO features, just lacking in performance.
          I can live with low performance much easier that missing functionality, because then I have choice. And the cost of deprecating support for something is a lot less expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Also, f**k cancer.
            Definitely, Cancer is the worst :-(
            Condolences for having to deal with it in any way at all.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              Anyone who misses the look and feel of KDE 3.5, do yourself a favor and try out the Trinity Desktop Environment. I'm really enjoying my time with it recently. It's missing some of the modern aspects of window management, like dragging windows to the left or right screen border to fill half the screen. But for my eyes it's a better looking DE than what is generally available.
              As I ready linked to, please don't advocate for this. Here is yet another example of their incompetence:

Disclaimer: this post represents my personal opinion and does not represent the opinion of any community I’m involved with. The motiviation of this post is mostly the fact that I tried severa…

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
              It only needs a beautiful theme engine, a nice icon theme and a nice wallpaper. Trinity has also compositing, for those need it (me dont).
              Yeah, and the compositor is called KWin and was maintained for years by the guy who wrote the article I linked to explaining why Trinity is so terrible. And, yes, it can be turned off just like in KDE 4 and KDE 5. As for a theme engine/icon/wallpaper - oh, you mean like everything added in KDE 4 & 5?

Comment

Originally posted by bosjc View Post
                As I ready linked to, please don't advocate for this. Here is yet another example of their incompetence:

Disclaimer: this post represents my personal opinion and does not represent the opinion of any community I’m involved with. The motiviation of this post is mostly the fact that I tried severa…

Yeah, and the compositor is called KWin and was maintained for years by the guy who wrote the article I linked to explaining why Trinity is so terrible. And, yes, it can be turned off just like in KDE 4 and KDE 5. As for a theme engine/icon/wallpaper - oh, you mean like everything added in KDE 4 & 5?
                This is your reason for spreading FUD about Trinity? A pair of 7 year-old blog posts from angry KDE 4 developers? Trinity is on a different qt code base and has had tens of thousands of improvements and bug fixes and security issues addressed over the years. And it is definitely not a one-man show. It's almost certainly maintained as well or better than many of the more popular desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                  On the topic of "lightweight" desktops, I have an old Atom Netbook. The IGP is not capable of running a composited desktop without major slowdowns.

I have been using XFCE on it as what seems like the best of the desktops for old systems, but the experience is not what I'd call "fluid". If Plasma5/kwin could just cope happily on that IGP I'd switch back for KWIN alone. KWIN is a lot smarter about using screen space efficiently, so works better on that stupidly-low resolution screen. Alas, it requires GL2 capable hardware to work well.

Very sad, we had GL3 hardware for half a decade before that thing was designed. I'm so glad that Intel picked up their IGP efforts since Broadwell, so now they are on par ITO features, just lacking in performance.
                  I can live with low performance much easier that missing functionality, because then I have choice. And the cost of deprecating support for something is a lot less expensive.
                  have you tried kwin with the xrender backend?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

This is your reason for spreading FUD about Trinity? A pair of 7 year-old blog posts from angry KDE 4 developers? Trinity is on a different qt code base and has had tens of thousands of improvements and bug fixes and security issues addressed over the years. And it is definitely not a one-man show. It's almost certainly maintained as well or better than many of the more popular desktops.
                    Oh right - even better, they are "maintaining" QT 3 on their own now, too, along with the rest of the stack? Love their website, though - not a single mention of KDE (that all of the actual code comes from) on the main page. Tens of thousands of bug fixes and security issues? Lol, are you the sole developer of Trinity or something?
                    Last edited by bosjc; 20 September 2019, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcloud View Post

have you tried kwin with the xrender backend?
                      Yes, it works then, but it is subject to severe stuttering :-(
                      Also, e.g. the lockscreen assumes that it is composited, so running without compositor just doesn't work then.

Comment

Working...
                      X