X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Wow, that did work. I had kwin installed already but couldn't get it to function in Trinity. Then I installed the kwin-x11 package from Debian, and invoked it with:
    $ kwin_x11 --replace

This is very interesting, much better than compiz. Thanks for the suggestion, I wasn't aware there was a way to get it to work, but I found a note on the Q4OS forums that led me to the solution. Very little else written online about it. This is performing much faster than compiz, and with a lot less configuration effort.

Edit - for full replacement of compiz, install kwin_x11 go to TDE Control Center > Window Decorations > Window Manager > and select kwin from the dropdown box.
    Nice. That's the exact method I used with XFCE .

And, yeah, there is very little written up about it which is a damn shame.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Out of curiosity, why not use KWin from Plasma for those effects and abilities? I know firsthand that it makes a great drop-in replacement for XFWM to give XFCE really spiffy and modern desktop effects.
    Wow, that did work. I had kwin installed already but couldn't get it to function in Trinity. Then I installed the kwin-x11 package from Debian, and invoked it with:
    $ kwin_x11 --replace

This is very interesting, much better than compiz. Thanks for the suggestion, I wasn't aware there was a way to get it to work, but I found a note on the Q4OS forums that led me to the solution. Very little else written online about it. This is performing much faster than compiz, and with a lot less configuration effort.

Edit - for full replacement of compiz, install kwin_x11 go to TDE Control Center > Window Decorations > Window Manager > and select kwin from the dropdown box.
    Last edited by andyprough; 21 September 2019, 04:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

Only trouble is compiz defaults are extremely ugly. I had to also install Emerald Theme Manager, might check if you have it in your repositories. Here's a video how-to on using Emerald that was real helpful to me - https://invidio.us/watch?v=7qOTJk1-hZA

And Emerald won't stay active unless you put it in autostart programs. For me the command to autostart Emerald is /usr/bin/emerald --replace
    Out of curiosity, why not use KWin from Plasma for those effects and abilities? I know firsthand that it makes a great drop-in replacement for XFWM to give XFCE really spiffy and modern desktop effects.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Great find! Thanks a lot!
    Only trouble is compiz defaults are extremely ugly. I had to also install Emerald Theme Manager, might check if you have it in your repositories. Here's a video how-to on using Emerald that was real helpful to me - https://invidio.us/watch?v=7qOTJk1-hZA

And Emerald won't stay active unless you put it in autostart programs. For me the command to autostart Emerald is /usr/bin/emerald --replace

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied

I figured it out - I had to install compiz from the debian repos (not the Trinity-compiz packages as they are no longer used). Also install the compizconfig-settings-manager, and the compiz-plugins - the main, extra, and experimental packages. Then go into TDE control center>Desktop>Window Behavior>Translucency - uncheck the "Enable Trinity window composition manager" box. Then go to Appearance & Themes>Window Decorations>Window Manager and select compiz as the window manager. Then open compizconfig-settings-manager, and under the Window Management section make sure the "Grid" is enabled. Now you should have windows resizing at the borders like on other moder DE's.
    Great find! Thanks a lot!

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied

I've been using Trinity on and off for a few years now, but I now realize I want that feature too, so I will dig deeper into it and report back to you if I find a way/hack to do that
    I figured it out - I had to install compiz from the debian repos (not the Trinity-compiz packages as they are no longer used). Also install the compizconfig-settings-manager, and the compiz-plugins - the main, extra, and experimental packages. Then go into TDE control center>Desktop>Window Behavior>Translucency - uncheck the "Enable Trinity window composition manager" box. Then go to Appearance & Themes>Window Decorations>Window Manager and select compiz as the window manager. Then open compizconfig-settings-manager, and under the Window Management section make sure the "Grid" is enabled. Now you should have windows resizing at the borders like on other moder DE's.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied

I've been using Trinity on and off for a few years now, but I now realize I want that feature too, so I will dig deeper into it and report back to you if I find a way/hack to do that
    Thanks, if you find something could you alert me by email? My screen name at protonmail. I've been doing some looking around, but haven't found a solution yet.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied

Is there a way to get the behavior of the windows resizing when you drag them to a border? Like with modern DE's, where you drag to the top to maximize the window, drag to either left or right border and you get resized to fill half the screen with the window. If it had that, TDE would be nearly perfect for my needs.

Leave a comment:

• Guiluge
    replied
    Originally posted by frank007 View Post

I disagree. I think it will be greatest mistake on passing on qt4 or qt5 libraries. The qt3 libs are also better than the actual gtk3 libs. Trinity should be a complete and indipendent DE. Indipendent from everything.
    I don't get why it would be a mistake to use modern, maintained, evolved libraries...
    I'm not saying TQt is bad at all, but it's a huge effort to maintain it, and keep it up on par with these frameworks, which have much more manpower.
    Of course, it was relevant back then : after 9 years, switching to Qt5 would cost much more.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Or you mean what's already possible with Trinity? Here's a screen shot of Trinity with the Debonaire style (which, as you can see, is a Breeze-like theme for Trinity) and Paper icon theme:
    Is there a way to get the behavior of the windows resizing when you drag them to a border? Like with modern DE's, where you drag to the top to maximize the window, drag to either left or right border and you get resized to fill half the screen with the window. If it had that, TDE would be nearly perfect for my needs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X